Mail delivery will not be affected by a government shutdown. Here, postal clerk Julie Wright delivers a load of mail to be sorted before delivery at the Chelsea post office in this 2007 file photo.
Here are five things you need to know if a federal government shutdown
occurs at midnight:
- You will still get your mail. The Postal Service is self-funded and won't be affected by a shutdown.
- If you get Social Security, you will still get your check. Also, government officials have said Medicare funding will continue, at least for a while.
- Your flight will likely get off the ground. Amtrak trains will also still run.
- You need to file your taxes on time, but your refund might be delayed if you file a paper return.
- You probably won't be able to get a passport.The State Department will cancel a special Passport Day scheduled for Saturday if there's a shutdown, and only emergency passports will be processed as long as the shutdown lasts.