House catches fire after man tries smoking rodents out of shed
The exterior of an Ypsilanti Township home was damaged Friday by a fire started when a rodent smoke bomb got out of control, officials said.
The Ypsilanti Township Fire Department was called to a home 1104 Borgstrom Avenue at 5:01 p.m. for the fire, said Lt. Brad Johnson.
The 49-year-old man who lives at the single family home with his family already had the fire mostly out with a garden hose, Johnson said. Firefighters did use the garden hose to put out some hot spots, however. There were no injuries.
Johnson said the fire started in a shed directly next to the house where the 49-year-old had lit a smoke bomb — the kind that evicts rodents such as rats, moles and mice. The bomb ignited the shed and burned it to the ground.
“The shed burned without them knowing it,” Johnson said.
The fire spread to the exterior of the main house, but it did not spread inside and there was no interior damage. The family was not displaced.