Inmates unhappy with sex assault settlement have hearing in Ann Arbor courts today
Some female inmates who won millions of dollars from jurors after saying they were sexually assaulted by male corrections staff are unhappy with a class-action settlement with the state.
The women say the $100 million settlement reached last month is unfair because they could get half of what a jury said they deserved, and some lost their jobs during the trial. One woman says the plaintiff's attorneys stand to earn more because of the settlement.
A fairness hearing is scheduled for Thursday afternoon in an Ann Arbor courtroom. The lawsuit involves about 500 current or former female prisoners.
Gov. Jennifer Granholm authorized the settlement after juries in two trials returned verdicts for 18 women that, with interest, would have totaled nearly $60 million.