You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 9 a.m.

Retrial for man accused of scalding 3-year-old boy in bath postponed

By Kody Klein

Judge Darlene O'Brien agreed to postpone the retrial for the 22-year-old Superior Township man accused of putting a 3-year-old boy in a bath so scalding that some of the boy's skin came off.



Courtesy of the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office

Harvey Wince, who is charged with torture and first-degree child abuse, will return to court on March 18.

Wince was tried for these charges in November, but the jury was unable to reach a verdict. The previous retrial had been scheduled for Feb. 25.

He also was due for sentencing after previously pleading guilty to resisting and obstructing police, but that also was postponed until the retrial.

Wince's attorney, James Fifelski, said the postponement of the retrial was so he could have more time to examine the transcripts from the previous trial.

"We think he has a very strong defense so we're going to vigorously defend him," Fifelski said.

Kody Klein is an intern for Reach him at



Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 10:10 p.m.

Would it be that all criminals experience the crime they committed.


Fri, Feb 15, 2013 : 7:49 p.m.

Too Right!! if I could vote you up a million times I'd do it.


Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 2:54 p.m.

He'll probably try self defense.


Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 10:28 p.m.

And, "And the hotter the water, the quicker it happens, she said. Markman testified that since the majority of the boy's burns were on his legs and buttocks, it's likely the boy "was forcefully restrained in the water." Markman also testified the boy's bruises probably weren't from roughhousing with other children as Wince claimed. "I don't believe that a 2- and 4-year-old could cause the extensive injuries that were seen to (the boy's) torso, arm, face and legs," she said. When questioned by police, Wince confessed to biting the boy on the arm. While arguing the bond motion, Fifelski described it as "a playful bite""


Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 10:24 p.m.

When the boy's mother picked him up, she noticed he was burned. "I saw his feet (were) red, then I got scared and I didn't know what to do. I was in shock," she said. "I just saw that his skin was gone. I saw some in the bathroom. (Wince) swept the skin and threw it in the garbage."


Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 10:19 p.m.

If it was traumatic or even just worrysome for him, you'd think he would have called 911.


Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 5:29 p.m.

That's amusing but not funny. If it were an accident it is as traumatic for him as it is for the child.


Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 2:45 p.m.

I cannot imagine what possible defense his lawyer will come up with. Life in prison would be generous.


Tue, Feb 12, 2013 : 3:37 p.m.

1, He didn't do it 2. It was an accident 3. The burns were caused by something else Of course YOU know all the facts since you sat on the jury the first time and heard all the testimony, so there is NO WAY you could imagine anything