Posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 10:17 a.m.

One dead after train hits vehicle in Augusta Township

By Lee Higgins

A driver is dead after a train struck a vehicle this morning near the intersection of McKean and Willis roads in Augusta Township, Washtenaw County sheriff's deputies said.

Sheriff's department spokesman Derrick Jackson said he did not immediately have details on the 9:30 a.m. collision.

Augusta Township fire officials could not immediately reached for comment.

The train was on a Norfolk-Southern track, officials said.

As of about 10:30 a.m., officials said they were unclear when the train would move from the location.

They were seeking help from road officials to divert traffic heading toward Willis from Rawsonville Road. The Washtenaw County Road Commission was closing Rawsonville south of Bemis at 10:30 a.m.

Comments

Jamie Riddle

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 7:40 p.m.

This is the only other update I have found so far, will keep looking and will post if I find more. <a href="http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Man-killed-in-car-train-crash-in-Augusta/-/1719418/4864730/-/4csl5sz/-/index.html" rel='nofollow'>http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Man-killed-in-car-train-crash-in-Augusta/-/1719418/4864730/-/4csl5sz/-/index.html</a>

That #1

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 6:46 p.m.

There are NOT crossing gates at the railroad crossing on Mckean Rd where the accident happened, only stop signs... My heart goes out to the family and friends of this man.

Jamie Riddle

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 6:22 p.m.

Annarbor.com, can we please have an update to this story?

AWUC

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 5:17 p.m.

I would ASSUME that the car was traveling on McKean Rd where the accident occurred, there are crossing gates at the intersection of Willis Rd, but maybe not at the less traveled McKean Rd. The trains that travel these tracks are pretty long freight trains and would most likely take quite a distance to stop. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Ann English

Sun, Dec 4, 2011 : 12:06 a.m.

You gave me the idea that in that area, if a long freight train hits a vehicle or pedestrian at one railroad crossing, there's a possibility that when it stops, TWO railroad crossings could be blocked for cars, not just the one where someone has been hit; ten years or more ago, such an accident happened with the Norfolk-Southern Railroad close to River Pines Drive; when it stopped, the Maple Road intersection was blocked as well, for the freight train was long enough to do that.

Jamie Riddle

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 5:11 p.m.

Condolences to the family. I live in that area, so I wonder if it is anyone I know?

LaMusica

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 5:05 p.m.

I sincerely hope it wasn't because the driver was trying to beat the train. Condolences to the family of the driver, and the train engineer, I'm sure he'll have trouble getting over this as well.

Bertha Venation

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 4:31 p.m.

Tragic. Thoughts and prayers to the family.