Posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2010 : 6:41 a.m.

Seva should stick to vegetarian menu at new Detroit location

By Letters to the Editor

While it is wonderful news that Seva restaurant is opening a location in Detroit, it is not good news that they are considering and leaning toward adding fish to their menu.

Since the ‘70s they have been an award-winning vegetarian restaurant that people such as myself go out of the way to support when I travel to Michigan each year to visit family. For them to no longer be a vegetarian restaurant means that I will no longer be going out of my way to stop in and support the place.

Fish is not vegetarian food and overfishing is destroying our oceans.

My advice is to not ruin a good thing. Obviously people are supportive of a vegetarian restaurant for the place to last this long. There's just no reason to fix what isn't broke. Jacqueline Bodnar Port Orange, Fla.

Comments

John H.H. Giessler

Thu, Aug 5, 2010 : 1:48 p.m.

I agree with Seva keeping to its vegetarian roots. However, the mission they are embarking on is more centered on social justice than you may realize. Detroit is still an impossible market to tackle and by taking a risk and opening shop in the city they may put dozens to work. Frankly, it is hard enough to keep a restaurant open in the city, not to mention one that specializes in upscale vegetarian fare. I agree with you though in that I hope they remain true to their roots and keep at least the Ann Arbor location 100% vegetarian.

John H.H. Giessler

Thu, Aug 5, 2010 : 1:47 p.m.

MB111

Thu, Aug 5, 2010 : 8:39 a.m.

Perhaps you should order what you want and not worry about what others choose to eat.

Bill Wilson

Wed, Aug 4, 2010 : 4:35 p.m.

Leafy veggies are fine. Carrots, tomatoes, peas, corn, are all carbohydrate, and are pure posion. Fish, is an extremely low-fat protein that is a complete food source. Sounds like adding it is the intelligent way to go. Just say no to carbs!

v

Mon, Aug 2, 2010 : 2:25 p.m.

I always gave SEVA so much credit for having the guts to remain true to vegetarianism for so long... good-bye SEVA, it was nice while it lasted!

Jacqui

Sun, Aug 1, 2010 : 9:02 a.m.

While I love Seva as it is, one the other world famous restaurant 'Moosewood' in Ithaca has always had fish on it's menu. I think Seva in Detroit will bring lots of new food adventures to this great area restaurant.