Organizer: More donations needed for residents affected by Schooner Cove apartment fire
Joseph Tobianski | AnnArbor.com
Sandy Kellerman, president of Homefront Hugs, said officials at McKinley Properties told her many of the residents at Schooner Cove apartments didn’t have renter’s insurance. Eleven families were displaced by the blaze at building 5086 that started after a grease fire in one kitchen spread to the rest of the building.
Kellerman said the families affected by the fire span all ages and anything anyone can donate would be helpful.
“It’s down to the basic stuff people might not think of and, around this time of year, people are decluttering,” she said. “If people can’t give money maybe they will come across old pots and pans, things in good condition they don’t need any more, or just basics or books for the kids.”
The fire broke out at 1 p.m. Jan. 7 at the apartment complex off Huron River Drive near Tuttle Hill Road. Fire officials told AnnArbor.com a resident sprayed a grease fire with a fire extinguisher, causing it to spread to the rest of the kitchen. The fire spread from there and destroyed much of the second and third floors of the building.
Homefront Hugs typically collects items for troops stationed overseas but Kellerman said the organization also works with disaster relief. She decided to get involved after speaking about the fire with a McKinley official.
Many of the affected families didn’t have renter’s insurance, Kellerman said. She once lost everything in a fire as well, but had renter’s insurance and managed to get back on her feet thanks to the simple investment, Kellerman said. She encouraged every renter to make sure they get insurance.
“Rental insurance is so cheap and when you have a fire like that, that costs thousands of dollars to replace all your things,” she said. “It’s worth the extra $15 a month.”
She added, “You do it for your car and you’re in your house way more than you’re in your car.”
All items can be brought to the Schooner Cove apartment complex leasing office, located at 5050 Schooner Cove Blvd.
McKinley Properties has been working with the residents to find them housing, either in the Schooner Cove apartments or within another McKinley property in the area.
McKinley officials said last week they were in the process of setting up a bank account for the people affected by the fire. Information on that account was not immediately available Thursday afternoon. Anyone who would like to make monetary donations to the affected residents can make a check out to “Schooner Cove Fire” and send it to Schooner Cove Fire Donations, c/o McKinley Properties, 320 N. Main St. Suite 200, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
In addition, Jack Middlebrook, manager the Reuse center at Recycle Ann Arbor, told AnnArbor.com Friday that Recycle Ann Arbor will be able to receive donations at their location, 2420 S. Industrial Highway, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. They will take the items to the Schooner Cove apartments as well.