Pavement work to affect traffic on 26 miles of township roads
Editor's note: This story has been updated with additional information from the Road Commission.
About 26 miles of township roads throughout western Washtenaw County will be under construction throughout this week and next week as the pavement is repaired.
The Washtenaw County Road Commission will be imposing lane restrictions on 10 roads throughout Freedom, Sharon, Sylvan, Lima, Lyndon, Dexter and Scio townships.
The work was scheduled to start Tuesday but rainy weather has pushed the start date to Thursday, said Jim Harmon, director of operations for the Road Commission. Construction is expected to last about a week long.
The road commission will be chip sealing the roads — a process in which a layer of hot asphalt is distributed on the surface of the road followed by a layer of fine aggregate material that is rolled into smooth pavement.
At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in both directions under flag control.
The work is weather-dependent and officials ask that drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists avoid the areas as delays are likely. Property owners in the construction zone will be able to maintain access.
Part of the project is being funded through the Road Commission's chip sealing budget, while the work on several roads in northwest Washtenaw County has been paid for through the $1.3 million deal the Road Commission struck with Enbridge Pipelines Toledo Inc. this spring.
The following areas will be affected:
- Island Lake Road from Lima Center to Dancer
- Stofer Road from North Territorial Road to Island Lake Road
- North Territorial Road from M-52 to Madden Road
- Fairway Drive from Stofer Road to Hayrake Hollow
- Hayrake Hollow Road from Riker Road to about 1,932 feet south of the
Sharon and Freedom townships:
- Pleasant Lake Road from M-52 to Schneider Road
Sylvan and Lima townships:
- Scio Church Road from M-52 to Parker Road
- Island Lake Road from Werkner Road to Stofer Road
- Werkner Road from Island Lake Road to about .95 miles south of the intersection
Lima and Scio townships:
- Jackson Road from Fletcher Road to Dino Drive
View Washtenaw County chip seal projects, June 25 - July 3 in a larger map