Pittsfield Township garage explodes; gas leak likely to blame
A gas leak likely caused a ceiling-mounted heating unit to explode in a Pittsfield Township garage Sunday night, firefighters said.
A man and his mother who live in the home in the 2000 block of Lohr Road told firefighters they were inside about 8:30 p.m. Sunday when they heard and felt the explosion. They immediately left the home with their dog, and a neighbor called 911.
When firefighters arrived, some smoke was coming from the three-car garage attached to the house, and both overhead garage doors had been damaged. The explosion and a flash fire had damaged the garage and contents. But the fire was no longer burning when firefighters arrived.
Pittsfield Township fire Capt. Jeff Foulke said the flash fire almost immediately consumed all the available oxygen, and then went out.
The house had light smoke inside, and fire damage was also found in the attic space above the garage.
The Pittsfield Township fire marshal, police and DTE Energy are investigating the cause, but firefighters believe a gas leak near the heating unit caused the explosion. No foul play is suspected.