You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Sun, May 19, 2013 : 12:05 p.m.

Racquet Club employee injured trying to stop chlorine leak; hazmat team called

By Sven Gustafson

An employee of the Racquet Club of Ann Arbor suffered chemical burns to his hands and arms after trying to stanch a leak from a chlorine storage tank at the athletic club Friday, the Ann Arbor Fire Department said.

The incident occurred around 3:11 p.m. Friday when a drain valve broke during maintenance, acting Battalion Chief Derek Wiseley said in a news release issued Saturday evening. The employee put his hands over the drain in an attempt to stop the leak while coworkers called 911.

Firefighters and the Washtenaw County Hazardous Materials Team arrived and managed to temporarily secure the leak while they decontaminated and evaluated the employee. He declined treatment and sought his own medical treatment, Wiseley said.

Firefighters and hazmat workers later safely secured the leak. left a message Sunday seeking comment from Racquet Club management. An employee said the pool opened for pre-season hours on Saturday and was open again Sunday.

View Larger Map



Tue, May 21, 2013 : 12:10 a.m.

I do not understand why this is a big news? RC members are a very loving big family. I know person who was injured will be OK.


Mon, May 20, 2013 : 3:38 p.m.

I am a very proud RC member. Our managers always train the employees. They take the utmost precautions and care. Some of the employees are members children s. I have all the trust in our managers and employees.

dading dont delete me bro

Sun, May 19, 2013 : 10:43 p.m.

staunch? staunch is a fail in this...

Sven Gustafson

Mon, May 20, 2013 : 12:10 a.m.

Oops, thanks for catching. It has been corrected.

Homeland Conspiracy

Sun, May 19, 2013 : 10:23 p.m.

Give that employee a raise


Sun, May 19, 2013 : 7:55 p.m.

I hope the employee was okay. Sounds like he/she did something they thought would help the situation.


Sun, May 19, 2013 : 5:58 p.m.

At least chlorine doesn't burn super fast when it gets on you. Makes your skin get all "soapy" feeling. Hoping since they didn't push treatment on him and he declined it, that the burns weren't that serious.

Lake Trout

Mon, May 20, 2013 : 1:19 p.m.

While the employee's hand and skin might not be "burned" too badly, the fumes from clorine in concentration will easily damage the lungs. I hope the person did go to the ER and seek treatment.

Lake Trout

Sun, May 19, 2013 : 5:06 p.m.

MIOSHA is going to have a field day with this one folks. Hope the Racquet Club has deep pockets. Members: get ready for your dues to go up!

Lake Trout

Mon, May 20, 2013 : 1:16 p.m.

jcj, just so you know, MIOSHA doesn't do theinspections, it is up to the company or vendor to provide training and protective clothing/equipment and maintain their facility. For all of you folks that don't like my comment, please understand that while I certainly hope the employee is not severely injured, I find the Raquet Club completly at fault for not providing proper training to their employees and they deserve whatever penalties MIOSHA feels are necessary.


Sun, May 19, 2013 : 8:43 p.m.

Did MIOSHA do any inspections in the last year? Why didn't they catch the bad valve? It sounds like it was a failure of the valve.