You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 : 9:20 a.m.

Child playing with matches accidentally sets mobile home on fire

By Kyle Feldscher

A child playing with matches accidentally lit a fire that caused thousands of dollars in damage to a mobile home in Saline Township Sunday evening.

Saline Area Fire Department Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said firefighters were sent at 7:48 p.m. Sunday to the 200 block of Dundee for a report of a structure fire. A neighbor extinguished the fire before crews arrived, Hoeft said.

A child was playing with matches outside the home and something caught on fire before spreading to the siding, Hoeft said. He said some of the siding was burned off and will have to be replaced.

No one was injured in the fire.


View Larger Map

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

Donald Martin

Fri, Apr 12, 2013 : 11:35 p.m.

River Ridge is not a mobile home park, it is a manufactured home park.

babs

Wed, Apr 10, 2013 : 4:07 a.m.

Kyle, in these current times, I wish we could all get away from using the out-dated, decades old phrase: "Playing with matches". Just consider the phrase... Kids are not 'playing' with matches. They KNOW matches are not toys. 'Play' by definition, does not apply. Kids experiment, are fascinated by, curious about things they KNOW adults would not condone, they are aware this is not an approved activity. They hide in closets with matches, get away from supervision and kids have lost their lives by engaging in this, that is NOT PLAYING. Children, even as young as pre-school, know not to touch fire, but cannot understand the consequences of trying to imitate grown-ups. They generally KNOW this is a forbidden and dangerous activity, yet certain personality types are drawn to this sort of combination. It is a serious, life threatening experimentation, not ever to be taken lightly (as in...'someone isn't getting their allowance this week'). Studies have shown that kids who experiment like this may be at risk for engaging in other dangerous challenges. These people were very lucky but the situation may be cause for further investigation.

hadit

Thu, Apr 11, 2013 : 12:53 p.m.

I wish I had as much time on my hands as you to worry about the use of " outdated phrases".

Michigan Reader

Mon, Apr 8, 2013 : 9:25 p.m.

When I played with matches as a child, I had enough presence of mind to be careful. The only fires I started were the matches themselves.

An Arborigine

Mon, Apr 8, 2013 : 2:30 p.m.

Glad there were no injuries, but someone may not be getting their allowance this week.

Heather Sweet

Mon, Apr 8, 2013 : 2:05 p.m.

Special Thanks to my step-dad (retired fireman) and his son (current fireman for another city) and with help from another neighbor for putting that fire out before Saline Fire got there! Good job guys!

djacks24

Mon, Apr 8, 2013 : 2:16 p.m.

Good thing they did so soon. I have experience with those particular homes. Very poorly designed with very cheap materials. Fire hazards waiting to happen (along with substandard plumbing).

obviouscomment

Mon, Apr 8, 2013 : 1:55 p.m.

Wish we knew the age of the child...very young makes me question parental supervision (or lack thereof) whereas pre-teen or teen makes me question their common sense.