You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 10:41 a.m.

Police: 2nd assault at Saline automotive plant results in ER visit

By Ben Freed

A second assault in three days at the auto components plant in Saline has led to one of the involved employees being taken to the emergency room at the St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Saline.

Sgt. Jay Basso of the Saline Police Department said an investigation into the incident is underway but that the second person who they were told was involved in the altercation left the plant after the event and is not due back for a few days.

Courtesy of Faurecia

Basso said investigators haven't determined the roles of the pair in the assault.

The plant, currently owned by Faurecia was formerly run by Automotive Components Holdings and Visteon.

There are charges pending in the assault that took place Tuesday in the plant between an employee and a human resources labor relations representative.

Due to correlating reports from multiple sources, incorrectly reported that the altercation took place between a union labor representative and an employee.

According to Basso, an employee, who is expected to be charged shortly, was going to human resources for disciplinary issues. He became angry and is accused of striking a labor relations representative.

Police have been in contact with the suspect and his lawyer, and Basso said paperwork necessary for filing charges has been sent to the prosecutor.

Ben Freed covers business for You can sign up here to receive Business Review updates every week. Reach out to Ben at 734-623-2528 or email him at Follow him on twitter @BFreedinA2

Sun, Dec 9, 2012 : 4:30 p.m.

So let me get this force all the Ford employees out, hire a bunch of inner city people (many still on tether for probation), pay them half the amount as the Ford workers and people are shocked when things like this occur? As a resident of Saline I am currently witnessing this sketchy behavior trickle down to the town itself, and it is a shame! This used to be town where you didn't have to worry about locking your car doors at night but I feel that times have changed, and unfortunately I think things are only going to get worse.

Fri, Dec 7, 2012 : 5:23 a.m.

The right to work...the right to work. It's not like these guys didn't have a job. Let's just blame it all on the union and labor reps.

MI Farmer

Fri, Dec 7, 2012 : 4:40 a.m.

Maybe they are upset because John-Doms is closed and no where to get there fix at lunch time?

music to my ear

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 9:34 p.m.

I have heard more stories about that plant since Faurecia took over. having live close to the plant there are a whole lots of employees from other cities who come to work here .when it was ford and ach things were not at all violent. it is a new generation they have to do the work themselves they cant google it.(I call the younger gens google nation.)

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 8:22 p.m.

At least they have a job, they should be thankful instead of angry

music to my ear

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 9:37 p.m.

it is very hard work. some people just cannot handle working in a plant . but if you have to you have to. bottom line.

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 9:11 p.m.

Ignatz, Unions can be quite the bully too. You greatly underestimate the power unions and workers in general have today with federal laws.

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 8:27 p.m.

Being "thankful" for a job only goes so far. I'm not saying this is the case here, but people can be pushed only so far by management, who, in a union shop or not, hold the power cards.

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 7:57 p.m.

Rock 'em, sock 'em Saline!!! Actually the difficult thing is that people are so economically stressed these days (I'm not saying that's the case with these guys, since I don't know them or what exactly provoked these incidents ) that tempers are short when discipline or jobs are threatened in this economy. The holidays are also upon us with their continuous exhortations to "be jolly" and be upbeat. It's a difficult situation.

Honest Abe

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 7:41 p.m.

Hey, look at the bright side - Least they're using their fists and not an Uzi.

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 7:04 p.m.

Another vague news article where readers will undoubtedly come to their own conclusions and post ridiculous comments...

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 7:57 p.m.

Yes, I was just thinking the same thing, after posting one below! LOL

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 6:33 p.m.

"Basso said it investigators haven't determined" Huh?

Cole Bertsos

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 6:38 p.m.

The correction has been made. Thanks, linuxtuxguy!

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 6:22 p.m.

It's not like high school now....the kids would be expelled permanently....and criminally charged (unless, of course, they're involved in athletics) will these individuals?

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 5:47 p.m.

I would worry about this plant - first the story about union transfers and new contracts now two assaults. I hope things settle down, but if I were the sherriff I would probably put a car there at shift change for the next couple of weeks.

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 8:41 p.m.

A lot of people won't fight if they know the fight will not be broken up.

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 5:26 p.m.

And the alleged assailant was valedictorian at WHICH high school? Oh, he wasn't valedictorian, may not have attended high school. Now I think I see. Career counselor to subject: Just a tip, it's generally not a good idea to incur "disciplinary action" by the employer. And it's an even worse career move to decide that your anger justifies any kind of violent action against another-anywhere, at any time. See, we have this civilization thingy we're kinda picky about. :-)

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 5:14 p.m.

Sounds like high school...some people never leave emotionally I guess.

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 5:32 p.m.

One thing I know for sure now is that it in fact does not sound like a fight club, as that comment was removed thanks to our diligent censor squad here at

Thu, Dec 6, 2012 : 4:24 p.m.

Sounds like just the place to settle in and start a career.