Posted on Tue, Jul 2, 2013 : 12:53 p.m.

Saline bans fireworks from 1 to 8 a.m. around national holidays

By Kyle Feldscher

Saline residents will be fined if they light off airborne fireworks between 1 and 8 a.m. during the July 4 weekend, according to the Saline Reporter.

According to the report, the Saline City Council voted Monday to ban fireworks use between 1 and 8 a.m. on the day before, the day of and the day after a national holiday. The ordinance covers fireworks that are shot into the air and explode.

Municipalities with populations lower than 50,000 in a county with a population of less than 750,000 are allowed to prohibit fireworks between those times, according to the report. In Ann Arbor, fireworks are prohibited between midnight and 8 a.m. by a city ordinance.

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

ez12c

Wed, Jul 3, 2013 : 12:04 p.m.

I support this!

sellers

Wed, Jul 3, 2013 : 12:09 a.m.

I believe disturbing the peace is an ordinance/law that covers this where you don't need an explicit law for the other 362 days. Since the 4th often has fireworks by convention, I can see the ordinance covering the days around that holiday.

Hunterjim

Tue, Jul 2, 2013 : 10:07 p.m.

Guess the folks around Torwwood sub didn't get the message at 3:45 am this morning.....

jmac

Tue, Jul 2, 2013 : 7:17 p.m.

All municipalities should just ban fireworks between midnight and 8am everyday of the year. No reason to allow people to just blast away after most other people have gone to bed. Let alone the wreck it makes of dogs and cats!

TrappedinMI

Tue, Jul 2, 2013 : 6:47 p.m.

Someone was lighting up fireworks last night during this time frame (in Saline). I guess they beat the deadline! Woke me right up!

Linda Peck

Tue, Jul 2, 2013 : 6:40 p.m.

The ruling does not go far enough. Here in Ann Arbor, we already have intense and loud fire works most nights after 10 or 11 at night. I don't mind too much if it is earlier before people go to bed, but after dark when children are in bed is when to stop, unless it is Fourth of July. We live in a mad crazy and very selfish world. The mad crazy I can deal with, but the selfish?

dading dont delete me bro

Tue, Jul 2, 2013 : 5:10 p.m.

"...to ban fireworks use between 1 and 8 a.m. on the day before, the day of and the day after a national holiday." so they can be shot off on the other 362 days of the year?!?