You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 3:05 p.m.

Saline business evacuated as officials investigate possible carbon monoxide exposure

By Staff

Saline police and firefighters are on the scene of what they're saying could be a carbon monoxide leak at JAC Products.


Rescue crews responded to JAC Products after a carbon monoxide leak in Saline on Friday afternoon. According to the Saline FirerDepartment, four to five people were taken to St. Joe's for exposure of small doses of carbon monoxide

Joseph Tobianski I

At least 5 people were transported to area hospitals for medical attention, according to Saline fire officials.

About 50 employees of the automotive supplier were told to leave the building as officials searched for what they believe to be a carbon monoxide leak. MichCon officials also have been called to the scene.

Rescue personnel, including Huron Valley Ambulance, were called to the building at 151 Industrial Dr. at about 2 p.m. Friday.

Employees were complaining of dizziness, nausea and fatigue, according to reports.

JAC Products Inc. employs more than 410 workers at its 180,000-square-foot complex in Saline, where workers manufacture roof rack systems for major automakers.

View Larger Map



Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 10:44 p.m.

wow everything i comment on here gets taken off...just for saying this is a serious situation and why do people need to talk how they do..and to ANNARBORFAN...they do not sell cars they make pieces to cars..and why would you even say that in a serious situation??? that is just rude!!


Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 10:44 p.m.

my husband works there and had been feeling that way for a couple days so did a few other people.

diana madaski

Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 9:41 p.m.

BhavanaJagat.....Thank you. My sister is ok. I just don't think it's right people use things like this to slam someone. Their reporting small amounts of carbon monoxide was leaking into the building. Well portions of the building was giving an 80% reading. That's a far cry from small amounts. Yes they have taken precautions to see that this don't happen again. Her level was quite high. I really thank God for sparing her life yesterday.


Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 3:51 p.m.

This is indeed a serious situation. I am glad to hear from Diana that her sister is okay. As these workers are fully awake and are at work, they could recognize the initial symptoms of the Poisoning. If for some reason, they were all sleeping at that place, next day or later, we would have found unconscious or dead people. I do hope that they have Carbon Monoxide detectors that are working. The gas has no smell or odor and could build up without being noticed.

diana madaski

Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 2:35 a.m.

I am the sister of one of the girls that was taken to the hospital. This was a very serious thing that happened today. She was really bad and I thank God she is ok. Could have been alot worse outcome.


Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 8:51 p.m.

@annarborfan - That made absolutely no sense. But, hey, thanks for sharing...


Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 8:40 p.m.

Payback for selling me a crap of a car!


Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 8:32 p.m.

i'm sure they would be complaining of nausea, dizziness and fatigue before the leak...


Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 3:17 a.m.

what exactly does that mean?? this was a very serious situation...