Saline expected to begin loose-leaf curbside collection on Oct. 31
As Saline residents get ready for Halloween, they should also get their leaves ready for non-bagged pickup.
The city’s loose-leaf curbside collection program has tentatively been scheduled from Oct. 31 through Dec. 2.
Here's the pickup schedule:
For residents living north of Michigan Avenue, leaf pickup is on Mondays and Tuesdays.
For residents living south of Michigan Avenue, leaf pickup will be Thursdays and Fridays.
Wednesday is used as a “catchup” day or early-collection day, depending on the amount of leaves ready, according to information from the city.
The Department of Public Works will load leaves into trucks, weather permitting, and deliver to nearby fields for composting.
The city has also provided a list of do’s and don’ts to assist residents.
- Rake leaves onto the extension, which is the area between the sidewalk and curb, before 7:30 a.m. prior to your scheduled days of collection.
- Rake only leaves into leaf piles.
- Move your vehicle from the street on your scheduled leaf collection day if you have leaves out to be collected.
- Keep nearby catch basin grates free of leaves.
- Rake leaves onto the street.
- Put tree brush, limbs, bushes, flowers, etc. into leaf piles.
- Rake leaves over catch basin grates.
- Park your car over piles of leaves.
Leaves are also picked up with the normal weekly curbside yard-waste collection program, but the city reminds residents that leaves and yard waste cannot be mixed with refuse or other recyclables.
These leaves should be bagged in brown craft paper bags — plastic bags are not accepted — or placed in reusable containers identified with yard waste stickers, with the stickers facing the street.
They should be placed 5 feet from refuse and recyclables. The weekly curbside yard waste collection program will continue through Nov. 26 and resume in April.
For questions, call the Department of Public Works from 7:30 - 3:30 p.m. at 734-429-5624.
For more Saline stories, visit our Saline page.