Students evacuated from Saline Middle School after report of smoke
Students were evacuated from Saline Middle School Thursday morning because of reports of smoke in the building.
A teacher noticed smoke in a room off the media center and pulled the fire alarm, triggering the evacuation, said Saline Fire Chief Craig Hoeft. The alarm sounded about 10:10 a.m.
Saline firefighters checked the building at 7190 N. Maple Road and found a motor in an air handling unit had burned out, Hoeft said. It caused no other problems.
Hoeft said the evacuation went smoothly. After about 20 minutes, students were able to return to their classrooms.
"They're back taking tests," Hoeft said. "In fact, they weren't happy with us that we sent them back in.