Posted on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 10 a.m.

Sen. Rebekah Warren invites local residents to join her for coffee hours

By Ryan J. Stanton

State Sen. Rebekah Warren, D-Ann Arbor, will be hosting two separate coffee hours in Washtenaw County next week to speak with local residents.

Rebekah_Warren_Headshot_b.jpg

Rebekah Warren

Warren intends to meet with anyone interested in discussing the different legislative actions taken by the Michigan Senate this year and answer questions.

The first coffee hour will be held from 6-7 p.m. Monday at Ypsilanti Township Hall, 7200 S. Huron Drive.

The second one will be held from 9-10 a.m. Friday at Scio Township Hall, 827 N. Zeeb Road.

In a recent interview with AnnArbor.com, Warren expressed disappointment with the way the state's 2012-13 budget turned out.

Related story: State budget gets mixed reviews from Washtenaw County lawmakers

Ryan J. Stanton covers government and politics for AnnArbor.com. Reach him at ryanstanton@annarbor.com or 734-623-2529. You also can follow him on Twitter or subscribe to AnnArbor.com's email newsletters.

Comments

Mitch

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 11:31 p.m.

Government does not "invest" only spends. Investors look for an ROI. But here is my Senator just another loony toon to tell us "I am from the Government here to help."

Sparty

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 6:52 p.m.

When Republicans attack a politicians looks and photo's, you know the level that they have sunk to, their level of class, manners, and debating skills (and vice versa, by the way). LoL.

Unusual Suspect

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 7:52 p.m.

kthxbai

Unusual Suspect

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 5:36 p.m.

Rebekah, you need a new photo. This one has attitude written all over it. Get one done by a photographer that doesn't to all those unnatural head-tilting poses that are designed to give the impression he really knows what he's doing.

Huron74

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 3:33 p.m.

Another thing. The coffee's usually bad too. :( @ veracity I don't know how'd these astro-turfed photo ops would go with politicians other than Dems bud. None but Dems have represented AA since the 70's.

Veracity

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 5:43 a.m.

Listen to all the angry Republicans. Do Republican legislators ever have coffee hours so that the local residents can express themselves to their "representatives"? No, that would mean slumming with the electorate. It is the top 1% that count for them and I bet that many of them are on speed dial!

Mitch

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 11:34 p.m.

There are none left that would possibly run, they were chase out of town by the University.

Huron74

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 4:48 a.m.

I honestly believe that Rebekah Warren doesn't give a tinker's darn what anybody thinks about anything. I'd like her to give one example when she's ever changed her mind or how she voted even time in her long political career based on a coffee klatch with her voters. Especially in a year when she's not up for re-election.

wolfman jack

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 8:18 p.m.

I thought she was a real estate agent from the picture. I had to look twice to see this was an article and not an add.

Michisbest

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 2:11 a.m.

Yes what's with all these glam shots for the democrats. They posted that Jessup's picture with his glam shot over and over as he was trying to get pettions signed for voting on the emergency manager law. Looked one of those faked Match.com pictures.

Arborcomment

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 6:23 p.m.

Check for wallet when leaving.

Madeleine Borthwick

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 9:01 p.m.

Also your purse.

Veracity

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 5:26 p.m.

XMO - As a dutiful Republican you have done what Republicans do so well, that is, you have taken an opponent's statement out of context. Rebekah Warren's entire quotation is as follows: "For me, it was really disappointing because this is the first time in quite a while that we actually had money to spend, and instead of reinvesting in the things I think really matter to most people — our public schools, our senior programs and those among us who are struggling and have the least — we didn't do that," she said. "We didn't invest where we really need to be." Like your Republican colleagues you believe that putting state tax dollars to work for the benefit of the middle class (and, thereby, Michigan's economy) is taboo.

Mike K

Mon, Jun 11, 2012 : 3:05 p.m.

And democrats never take anything out of context.................

Ivor Ivorsen

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 10:04 p.m.

Mike, It looks like we didn't invest enough in your "public scholls" lol.

Stephen Landes

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 8:28 p.m.

Veracity -- Returning tax money to the people who earned it and paid it to the State is a worthy investment. Better to return it than let Democrats who seem to need to "spend spend spend" have their way.

Mike

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 7:38 p.m.

I like how politicians say that spendng our hard earned tax dollars is "investing". We already spend more on public scholls than many private schools with worst results. The middle class doesn't need tax dollars we need jobs.................

nickcarraweigh

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 5:16 p.m.

Political fashions come and go, albeit it very slowly, and the Michigan legislature is now drunk on the potently mislabeled "populism" craze. Plainly ludicrous as it is, the idea that personal liberty is mysteriously linked to corporate profitability is now believed by many. Furthermore, camouflaged by anti-government rhetoric, welfare programs for private profit have become Job One for many representatives and senators . Increasingly, legislative action directly benefits the few and directly bills the many. In the name of creating jobs, millions in state funds are deducted from the working poor and and pensioned middle-class and given as tax breaks to corporations. Perversely, business tax savings fund automation, so employment can be cut. The already-wealthy have hit the mother lode. We're in a crazy race to the bottom.

Mike

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 7:36 p.m.

Under Granholm there was no money left to spend. Snyders record speaks for itself. The joke is that the democrats can't wait to spend the money; it's burning a hole in their pockets

Veracity

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 5:35 p.m.

Spot on.

cinnabar7071

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 5:15 p.m.

I'd rather stuff lit M-80's in my pants then spend 5 minutes with Rebekah Warren

Madeleine Borthwick

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 9 p.m.

Right on, Cinnabar! here's a partial list of what I'd rather do.....chew on carpet tacks; clean out the cat's litter box w/my tongue; dive naked into a swimming pool full of double-edged razor blades(thanks, Weird Al); set my hair on fire; date my ex-husband; whack the side of a wasp's nest with a baseball bat, you get the idea....

Homeland Conspiracy

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 8:01 p.m.

Can I light them?

Jonathan Blutarsky

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 7:08 p.m.

Passing you a match...

Veracity

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 5:32 p.m.

You have a good idea. Please do not hesitate.

shepard145

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 4:21 p.m.

That would be interesting. What will be the topic - job killing democrat incompetence? I want to hear more about her DOA legislative proposal for constitutional protection for nursing mothers as a protected class! LOL She would be a lot more amusing if not occupying a seat in Lansing.

xmo

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 3:46 p.m.

What planet is she on? " "For me, it was really disappointing because this is the first time in quite a while that we actually had money to spend"

Sparty

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 : 6:47 p.m.

I like to fire people.

ViSHa

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 11 p.m.

^^^Oops, that was my comment, I was using my wife's laptop

barb

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 10:57 p.m.

@mike - I guess you do not follow the news quick enough, I was being sarcastic using obama's quote from his presser yesterday.

Mike

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 7:33 p.m.

@ViSHa - The private sector is not doing fine. There are not enough jobs, demand for products is declining. Students are graduating with four year degrees and flipping burgers and making pizzas. Do you want the news? Follow the stock market? follow the unemployment report? Think?

ViSHa

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 4:44 p.m.

Planet "the private sector is doing fine".

EyeHeartA2

Sat, Jun 9, 2012 : 2:44 p.m.

"For me, it was really disappointing because this is the first time in quite a while that we actually had money to spend" Shocker.