Series of road closures planned as Enbridge pipeline expansion begins in northwestern Washtenaw County
Courtesy of Enbridge
The company has provided the Washtenaw County Road Commission with a tentative schedule of the closures, all of which are subject to weather conditions:
- Thursday: Waters Road between Rendz and Haab roads in Freedom Township
- Saturday: Jerusalem Road between Lima Center and Guenther roads in Lima Township
- Jan. 29: Trinkle Road between Dancer and Lima Center roads in Lima Township
- Jan. 31: Beach Road between Dancer and Lima Center roads in Lima Township
- Feb. 2: Colby Road between Donner and Dexter Town Hall road sin Dexter Township
- Feb. 5: Madden Road between Colby and Quigly roads in Dexter Township
- Feb. 7: Riker Road between Colby Road and Hayrake Holllow in Dexter Township
- Feb. 9: Joslin Lake Road between Embury and North Territorial roads in Lyndon Township
- Feb. 12: Joslin Lake Road between Boyce and Kaiser roads in Lyndon Township
- Feb 14: Farnsworth Road between Boyce and Jaycox roads in Lyndon Township
Each closure is expected to last about three days.
The closures in the northwestern corner part of Washtenaw County are necessary so Enbridge’s contractors can install 35 miles of crude oil pipeline.
The new line will be parallel to an existing line, which carries crude oil from the Stockbridge junction of Enbridge's interstate Line 6B to Freedom Township.
At the Freedom Township junction the crude oil is divided between the Marathon Petroleum Corporation LLC's Detroit refinery and the BP-Husky Refinery in Toledo.
Increasing demand for oil from both refineries fueled Enbridge's response to increase the crude oil carrying capacity of its infrastructure.
View Road closures for Line 79 construction in a larger map