Ann Arbor Marathon to prompt several street closures Sunday morning
Several streets throughout Ann Arbor will be closed on Sunday when the Ann Arbor Marathon races its way through the city.
Street closures will begin at 5:30 a.m. in preparation for the marathon, which begins at 6:30 a.m., and streets will gradually reopen throughout the morning as runners finish the race. The the half marathon and the 5K both begin at 7:30 a.m. and the race ends at 12:30 p.m. The 1.2 mile and finish will start at 8:30 a.m.
Washtenaw Avenue, Huron Street, Stadium Boulevard and Plymouth Road will remain open all morning, allowing traffic to move across town.
The following is a list of road closures that will reopen as runners complete the course:
- Northbound Main Street from Stadium Boulevard to Liberty Street will be closed all morning. Southbound Main Street will remain open. Gaps in runners will allow residents east of Main Street to cross the street to a western side street or to travel south on Main.
- Liberty Street between Main and State streets will close until about 7:45 a.m.
- The westbound lanes of East Huron Drive will be closed during the race. Eastbound Huron Drive will be open all morning. Those living north of East Huron River Drive will be able to exit their homes when there is a break in runners.
- Southbound Huron Parkway from Fuller to Plymouth roads will be closed during the race. Northbound Huron Parkway will be open all morning.
- Hubbard/Hayward on U-M's North Campus will be closed. Those north or south of Hayward Street can access Plymouth or Fuller roads from Murfin Street.
- Westbound Fuller Road and Fuller Court from Huron Parkway to Bonisteel Boulevard will be closed during the entirety of the race. Eastbound Fuller Road is open all morning. Those living on the south side of Fuller Road and Fuller Court will only be able to exit to travel east when there is a break in runners.
- State Street from West Madison Street to Eisenhower Parkway will be closed during the race. Southbound State Street from Hill Street to Eisenhower also will be closed, but northbound lanes will be open all morning.
- Eastbound Eisenhower Parkway from State Street to Market Place will be closed. Eastbound Eisenhower will remain open up to Plaza Road. Westbound Eisenhower is not on the course, but runners cross the State Street and Eisenhower intersection so vehicles will only be permitted to cross State on westbound Eisenhower when there is a break in runners. Frequent breaks are expected because this portion is late in the course.
- All of Briarwood Circle will be closed for the duration of the event and access to Mall Drive will only be possible when there are gaps in runners.
For maps and more information about detour routes visit the Ann Arbor Marathon website.
Registration closes at 5 p.m. on Friday. The race begins Sunday on Main Street at the corner of Keech in front of the University of Michigan football stadium.
Chelsea Hoedl is an intern reporter for AnnArbor.com. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.