You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Wed, Oct 24, 2012 : 8:11 p.m.

Small kitchen fire in senior apartment complex results in 1 minor injury

By Cole Bertsos

The Ann Arbor Fire Department was dispatched at 6:58 p.m. Wednesday to the sixth-floor Lurie Terrace Senior Apartments at 600 W. Huron Street.

Batallion Chief on duty Kevin Cook said the fire department arrived in 2 1/2 minutes and put out a kitchen fire in a few minutes.

Cook said there was one minor injury due to smoke inhalation, but they were able to evacuate the smoke through the elevator shaft in about 20 minutes.

"Older folks live at this facility, so it could have been a lot more dangerous situation than it was," Cook said.

As of now, the damage done to the apartment is unclear.


View Larger Map

Comments

jns131

Thu, Oct 25, 2012 : 11:44 p.m.

I just read somewhere else that a kitchen fire was due to someone using a blow torch to cook a squirrel. This wasn't it was it?

Sheila Parsons

Thu, Oct 25, 2012 : 5:54 p.m.

Just a not from a spelling freak - the plural of curriculum is "curricula" - it's a Latin word.