You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 3:03 p.m.

Thousands start 60-mile Michigan Breast Cancer 3-Day walk that ends in Ann Arbor

By Jessica Kerman

Almost 2,000 people have started walking a 60-mile journey from Dearborn to Ann Arbor to raise awareness and money for breast cancer research.

The Michigan Breast Cancer 3-Day walk began at the Henry Ford Museum this morning with a ceremony honoring those who have died and those who have survived the battle with breast cancer.

Friends and family of the walkers will meet the group at Washtenaw Community College for the closing ceremony Sunday.

WCC spokeswoman Janet Hawkins said event coordinators approached the college about holding the ceremony there.

“We’re very honored (to have them here),” she said. “It’s large enough to accommodate the amount of people they are expecting and it was on the route. It’s a wonderful opportunity to showcase the area.”

The Michigan Breast Cancer 3-Day is part of a series of 15 events throughout the country. Each participant in the 3-Day raises a minimum of $2,300 for the cause.

Since 2003, when the 3-Day started, more than $400 million has been raised for breast cancer research, education and community health programs.

About 85 percent of the net proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The other 15 percent goes to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund, an endowment that supports breast cancer initiatives for education, research, treatment and prevention. Of the money that goes to Komen, 25 percent stays local.

Saline resident Matthew Pickus is participating in his 11th 3-Day event. He will also be walking in the San Diego event this year.

“I’m so amazed by the women and the people walking,” he said during his lunch break today. “It’s hot, but I’ve done 40-degree ones in the rain and I’ve done 100-degree ones.”

Pickus is president of 60-Mile Men, a nonprofit group dedicated to raising money for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. He founded the organization in 2006.

“Out of 2,000 walkers, you might have 100 men walking,” he said. “Men get breast cancer too.”

For Pickus, each event is special.

“I can tell you one or two stories from each walk,” he said.

Jessica Kerman is an intern for Reach our news desk at or 734-623-2530.



Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 9:29 p.m.

You can get info on the route and cheering stations at Go to the bottom of the page and under Hot Events News there's a Spectator Information Page. I volunteered at this event a few years ago and it was truly awesome. If you can get to a cheering station, I'd highly recommend it.


Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 7:24 p.m.

Does anyone have any idea what the route is from Dearborn to Ann Arbor? I have a friend that would like to support the route but can't find any info. Any help would be appreciated by many.


Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 4:14 p.m.

I was there this morning at the Henry Ford to see my wife take the first steps of this 60 mile journey. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget. If this disease has touched your life in any way I recommend that you come out to the closing ceremony...and bring a few tissues.

Jessica Kerman

Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 2:57 p.m.

The finish line will be on the WCC campus in a main parking lot. The closing ceremony will be at about 4:30 p.m., so the walkers will be there shortly before then. The woman from 3-Day said it should be pretty noticeable.


Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 2:47 p.m.

Where does the walk end? In Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti? If there was a little more info, I'd like to be at the end of the walk to cheer the walkers on

Jessica Kerman

Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 2:45 p.m.

It's technically in Ann Arbor Township.


Fri, Aug 14, 2009 : 2:42 p.m.

Isn't WCC in Ypsilanti?