Three departments battle house fire in Augusta Township
Firefighters from three departments battled a blaze that caused extensive damage to a home in Augusta Township Wednesday morning.
The owner of a home in the 6000 block of Willow Road called 911 after smelling smoke in the home about 6:10 a.m. Wednesday, Augusta Township Assistant Fire Chief Dave Music said. The man and his daughter got out of the house safely, Music said.
Flames were shooting through the roof and coming from the rear of the one-story home when firefighters arrived. They quickly knocked down the blaze, getting it under control in about 45 minutes, Music said they then set about covering the owner’s belongings with tarps while they began extinguishing the remnants of the fire and hunting for hot spots to make sure it would not rekindle.
Firefighters had to pull down many ceiling tiles from the living room and dining room areas of the home and take shingles off the roof to make sure the fire was completely out, Music said.
They believe a wood-burning fireplace insert was the source of the blaze. Music said the fire appeared to have spread from the fireplace insert to an exterior wall of the home and into the attic. The open attic construction allowed it to spread quickly, causing extensive damage in the attic area.
Firefighters managed to stop the blaze from spreading to an attached garage and prevented fire damage to bedroom and office areas of the home, Music said.
Damage was estimated at $70,000 to $80,000. Repairs will be needed to make the home inhabitable, Music said. The Red Cross was called to assist the family.
The family had two cats and one was found safe, Music said. The other had not been located, but he said it likely survived as well.
Firefighters from Pittsfield Township and Milan each provided a tanker and firefighters to battle the blaze. Milan firefighters covered the Augusta Township station during the fire.