U-M residence hall evacuated after fire, gas leak
The University of Michigan’s Mosher-Jordan Hall was evacuated Monday evening after a report of a gas leak in a dining area, according to reports.
Dispatchers indicated an extinguished fire and a gas leak were reported at 7 p.m. Monday at the residence hall, 200 Observatory St. The gas leak originated from a kitchen area and officials reported the dining area smelled of gas.
The building was evacuated and officers had to close off portions of Observatory Street while residents evacuated and waited to be let back inside.
The gas was shut off by 7:07 p.m., according to dispatchers.
Further information wasn’t immediately available Monday evening. Dispatchers were informing bus drivers to avoid the area until 7:25 p.m. Monday, when they expected it to be cleared. All the evacuated residents appeared to be back inside by 7:30 p.m. Monday.