You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Mon, Nov 19, 2012 : 7:36 p.m.

U-M residence hall evacuated after fire, gas leak

By Kyle Feldscher

The University of Michigan’s Mosher-Jordan Hall was evacuated Monday evening after a report of a gas leak in a dining area, according to reports.

Dispatchers indicated an extinguished fire and a gas leak were reported at 7 p.m. Monday at the residence hall, 200 Observatory St. The gas leak originated from a kitchen area and officials reported the dining area smelled of gas.

The building was evacuated and officers had to close off portions of Observatory Street while residents evacuated and waited to be let back inside.

The gas was shut off by 7:07 p.m., according to dispatchers.

Further information wasn’t immediately available Monday evening. Dispatchers were informing bus drivers to avoid the area until 7:25 p.m. Monday, when they expected it to be cleared. All the evacuated residents appeared to be back inside by 7:30 p.m. Monday.


View Larger Map

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

Ann English

Tue, Nov 20, 2012 : 11:56 p.m.

Apparently there are three residence halls on Observatory. Stockwell Hall was renovated in 2009 and Alice Crocker Lloyd Hall was in 2011. If Mosher-Jordan Hall was renovated this year and IS on the opposite side of Observatory from the other two residence halls, that would explain the temporary closure of Washington Heights street this year.

LXIX

Tue, Nov 20, 2012 : 12:25 p.m.

Mid-terms. Just a lot of nervous freshman under pressure. Seriously, wasn't MOJO just renovated?