You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 10:03 a.m.

University of Michigan student reported missing after failing to show for graduation

By Kyle Feldscher

Related: Search continues for former U-M student Brice Moss

A 21-year-old University of Michigan student was reported missing Saturday by his mother after he didn’t turn up for graduation, Ann Arbor police said.


Brice Moss

Courtesy of Facebook

Ann Arbor police Lt. Renee Bush said Brice Moss was last seen at about 2:40 a.m. Saturday by his roommate. He was expected to be present for commencement Saturday morning but his mother reported he was nowhere to be found, Bush said.

Ann Arbor police detectives are investigating, but no foul play is suspected at this point, she said.

“There’s nothing to indicate he’s an endangered person,” Bush said.

Moss's car was last seen at 12:30 a.m. Sunday on Ann Street, Bush said. During an interview with his roommate, police learned he may have gone to visit friends at other universities including Tulane University, Michigan State University, Eastern Michigan University and Central Michigan University, Bush said.

Moss's vehicle is a tan 1999 Lincoln Town Car, Bush said. He was last seen in his home in the 1000 block of Vaughn Street. The only description given to police is that Moss is a black man with short hair, medium complexion, Bush said.

Anyone with information on Moss's whereabouts is encouraged to call the Ann Arbor police anonymous tip line at 734-794-6939 or 911 if in the city of Ann Arbor.

Friends of Moss have created a Facebook page in an effort to help find him.

Update (3:53 p.m.): Bush reported Moss' mother met with Ann Arbor police Monday and said she believes Moss is in danger. Bush said she was not aware of any new information given to police to reflect this belief and police are still actively looking for Moss.

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for He can be reached at or you can follow him on Twitter.



Wed, May 2, 2012 : 12:21 a.m.

Have they checked the local establishments? I know that is where they found me and my father after mine. What a smashing success that was.


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 4:37 p.m.

@Kyle Feldscher: might want to check that facebook page more thoroughly: there's a person (Kimberly R. Hairston) there claiming that says Moss has not been a U of M student since 2011!-? "Let them know only so much, let them reason together only so much, let community interest and safety go only so far."


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 7:20 p.m.

Thank you, Kyle. I appreciate the update. But - that brings up the question of handling updates on's website. While the link is identified as "related" - wouldn't it have been better to either use "updated from..." OR just pull down the whole original story? As it was, I was "misled" by a link in the newsletter to the original story, then spent time re-reading the original a couple of times to see if, in fact, Mr. Moss was said to be a former or current Michigan enrollee. I'd appreciate it if my question / suggestion was given serious thought.

Kyle Feldscher

Tue, May 1, 2012 : 4:43 p.m.

Tru2Blu76- I'm sure that information was pulled from this story posted earlier today. I've added the link at the top of this story.


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 12:06 a.m.

an easy thing we do is activate an app on the kids (and spouses) cell phones to detect the phone ... we figure their cell phone is like another appendage, so find the cell and you'll find the kid even if they don't answer. My daughter babysits a lot and doesn't answer often when we call or text ... but we know where she (or at least her cell) is in that case. Hope the kid is ok ... a parents nightmare not being able to locate their child.


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 12:50 a.m.

The GPS tracking services that I am aware of require that the cell phone is on and do not work when it is turned off.


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 11:58 p.m.

Here's something I don't quite understand: Mr. Moss was last seen at 2:40 AM on Saturday on Vaughn Street, but his car was last seen at 12:30 AM on Ann Street. Presumably, by Sunday morning anybody who would recognize the car as Mr. Moss' Lincoln would have known he was missing already and stuck around to see who left in it. Does anyone else find this piece of the story to be strange? I agree that there is some missing information here.


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 1:38 p.m.

I agree, Arbuckle, and found that a little odd. One article also mentioned that the Sunday am sighting also happened to be in front of a friend's house. I hope the young man turns up safe and soon!


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 3:15 a.m.

If I saw YOU at 2:40 am, that has NOTHING to do with when and if I saw your car. If I saw Mr Moss at 2:40 am, I would assume he went home or somewhere else. Why would I think he would be reported missing TWO DAYS later. You are making assumptions about things in which you have no knowledge, so quit speculating as to what other people did or did not do.


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 1:44 a.m.

ArthGuinness - the car wasn't seen until 22 hours after he went missing, in no way does that suggest that a person would have had to sit for 22 hours....what exactly is your math on that? Besides, if I was a concerned individual I would at least call a family member or the police after locating the car. I'm sure one of those people would sit for 22 or more hours to solve this. What's your point?


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 1:08 a.m.

You'd watch a car for 22 hours to see who drove off in it?


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 10 p.m.

Has anyone checked with the University to see if the young man was actually graduating? Perhaps he didn't or wasn't and the parents were deceived.


Tue, May 1, 2012 : 1:23 p.m. "According to University spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham, the University has not conferred a degree on Moss and there is no record of Moss graduating Saturday. Moss's name is not found in the 2012 Spring Commencement program. Cunningham added that Moss was enrolled in classes at the University from summer 2008 until winter 2011 but has not been enrolled at the University since April 19, 2011. Despite not being enrolled in over a year, Moss had his senior portrait taken for The Michiganensian, the University's yearbook, and purchased a yearbook, according to a document obtained by The Michigan Daily with a list of the Michiganensian's sales. "


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 7:59 p.m.

I hope Mr. Moss is found, safe and sound! Next time, let Mom know, please ... we worry. ;-)


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 7:46 p.m.

There is something missing in this story. Some fact or data wasn't shared if the family doesn't think he is in danger. The missing person report is the strange thing here. Plenty of kids get into stuff and take off without telling their parents...they even have some idea where he was going. An enigma.


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 4:39 p.m.

As the parent of one of the 2012 U-M graduates, I can definitely feel for his family and friends right now. This is pretty alarming to say the least. You'd think he would have told his parents if there was even a possibility he wasn't going to attend. Hopefully, he'll turn up safe.


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 3:52 p.m.

I can't believe that Mr. Moss would work so hard to graduate and then not show up for his graduation. This whole story does not sound right. I hope and pray they find him soon and that he is OK. My thoughts and prayers go out to this young man's family.


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 2:40 p.m.

Most students live for their graduation. Its the one day they look forward to after putting all the blood, sweat and tears into for years. Very odd that the day would come and he would miss it? Becuase if he was or wasn't planning on going then everyone would have known that. Anyone try calling the cell phone or anything?


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 11:07 p.m.

I graduated from UM 24 years ago today. I didn't want to attend my graduation (and didn't). Of course, that was the year they had the guy who spoke interminably about the Soviet Union. I spent graduation day on airplanes and in airports, but I did see the resulting fallout on the national news. I'm still of the opinion that I missed absolutely nothing that day by skipping commencement.


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 9:51 p.m.

Same here, ChrisW. My mother harangued me into going. If I had had a job lined up and the guts to cut family ties then I would have done the same thing this guy did.


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 8:52 p.m.

Not me. After 4 years of engineering school the last thing I wanted to do was to attend yet another school event.

Craig Lounsbury

Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 2:19 p.m.

"There's nothing to indicate he's an endangered person," I suppose the flip side would be is there anything to indicate he isn't endangered? He didn't show up at a rather significant event he was expected to be at. Doesn't that at least raise a possibility of trouble?


Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 7:16 p.m.

Plenty of graduates skip their graduation ceremonies. And plenty don't tell their families what they are doing. Most likely it's a communication problem somewhere. At least we can hope it is.

Craig Lounsbury

Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 2:38 p.m.

"maybe...maybe not. ' exactly my point

Steve McQueen

Mon, Apr 30, 2012 : 2:33 p.m.

maybe...maybe not. if the police make that type of statement, chances are they know something that they are not saying....there could be any number of reasons why a 21 year old could want to disappear for awhile. hopefully it is as simple as that.