You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 : 3:50 p.m.

Water main breaks near Manchester Flats

By Kody Klein

A privately-owned water main has broken and is affecting Manchester Flats Apartments on Pauline Boulevard and surrounding neighborhoods.

020910_NEWS_Water main.jpg

Manchester Flats Apartments on Pauline is experiencing a broken water main.

Melanie Maxwell |

Lisa Wondrash, unit manager of the City of Ann Arbor Communications Office, said the water main is not city-owned.

Wondrash said no traffic issues have been reported in relation to the water main break.

An email sent to residents by from McKinley, the company that manages Manchester Flats, said the water in that area will be shut off until approximately midnight and residents should expect large machinery in the parking lot near the area where the water main has broken.



Sat, Jan 26, 2013 : 4:32 p.m.

Most companies would give their tenants a rent credit for the inconvenience, but, knowing McKinley, you'll probably get a rent increase to pay for the repairs.

Amy Biolchini

Sat, Jan 26, 2013 : 5:15 a.m.

I live in this complex and all tenants received this notice tonight: Water will remain on and in working order until mid-Saturday morning, when it will be shut off. Crews were waiting on equipment to access the water main. No restoration time was given. Once water is restored, the complex management recommended residents flush their faucets for a full minute, flush their toilets and boil their water for a minute for the first 48 hours afterwards.


Sat, Jan 26, 2013 : 5:11 a.m.

If it's privately owned,I doubt it's a "main".

Elaine F. Owsley

Fri, Jan 25, 2013 : 9:04 p.m.

How does one obtain a "private water main"?


Fri, Jan 25, 2013 : 9:22 p.m.

Makes sense to me Jared, you must have posted as I was typing. And typing "here" when it should have been "hear".


Fri, Jan 25, 2013 : 9:20 p.m.

I wondering the same thing. Usually when you here a water main is broken it a municipality that is fixing it. Be interesting to know who owns it.

Jared Mauch

Fri, Jan 25, 2013 : 9:17 p.m.

Likely very similar to a private road. Likely the meter is located out at the road or other right-of-way the water main is placed within, and the property owner is responsible from that point on. Some people might call it a demarc, short for demarcation, or the point where responsibility changes. Typically utilities stop at the meter or box and something beyond that is a burden for the owner/renter/landlord.