Woman and son rescued from burning home on Ann Arbor's west side
The Ann Arbor Fire Department pulled a mother and son out of a burning home Sunday morning after the mattress in an upstairs bedroom caught fire.
The son was bedridden with a medical condition and had been smoking in bed, which caused the fire, said Robert Vogel, battalion chief.
Five trucks and 16 firefighters responded at 9 a.m. to a single-family home at 1121 Birk Ave., near Pauline Boulevard and South 7th Street on Ann Arbor’s west side, Vogel said. The fire department extinguished the blaze in 10 minutes but remained at the scene for about an hour.
Rescue workers removed the woman from the first floor and the son from a second story bedroom. He had rolled onto the floor after the mattress caught fire. His mother called 911.
Paramedics treated the woman and her son for smoke inhalation at the scene. The home had fire detectors but they were not working, Vogel said. It's not clear if the home's occupants were transported to local hospitals.
The 1,400-square-foot home, built in 1940, sustained $15,000 of damage. Vogel said damage was was contained within the upstairs bedroom where the fire started.
According to an eyewitness, damage was not visible from the street following the blaze.