Ypsilanti woman suffers burns, taken to U-M emergency center
A 68-year-old woman suffered minor burns to her face after attempting to light a cigarette while connected to an oxygen tank Friday in the 400 block of West Michigan Avenue in Ypsilanti.
"We’ve had several incidents like this in the past," said Lt. Mike Kouba, of Ypsilanti Fire Department. "One person actually died from the same situation a few years ago, in the same building."
The woman was taken to University of Michigan Emergency Center for her burns and for difficulty breathing.
"If you're on oxygen, you shouldn't be smoking cigarettes," Kouba said, citing the element's fire-accelerating properties.
Kouba said the incident also left burn marks on the front of the furniture.