You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2012 : 4:50 p.m.

17-year-old remains in critical condition after car crash

By Cindy Heflin

A 17-year-old Pittsfield Township resident remained in critical condition at the University of Michigan Hospital Thursday after a crash Tuesday night on Textile Road in Ypsilanti Township.

The driver suffered head trauma in the crash, which occurred at 11:48 p.m. Tuesday in the 5800 block of Textile Road, said Washtenaw County sheriff’s Sgt. Geoffrey Fox.

Police said he was driving a 2004 Ford Taurus west on Textile Road on his way home from work in Ypsilanti Township when the car left the road and traveled about 20 feet into the ditch, hitting several trees along the way.

He was pinned in the car for about two hours after the crash while firefighters worked to free him. A University of Michigan Survival Flight helicopter took him to the hospital.

Police have not determined why the driver lost control of the vehicle and may never know, Fox said. Neither alcohol, nor drug use is believed to be a factor, police said.

View Larger Map



Fri, Oct 5, 2012 : 1:12 p.m.

My prays are with him and his family. He may have fallen asleep after working and I'm hoping we will know the cause of the accident when he recovers. ( I'm optimistic )


Thu, Oct 4, 2012 : 9:48 p.m.

It seems that young people get a tire off on the gravel shoulder and do not understand how to handle that and over compensate. I think the same thing happened in that accident on Merritt near Munger a few days ago from the looks of the damage. It's not an easy thing to learn. Driver's ed and my father were much stricter back in the day. I learned to slide on ice too.

Ann English

Thu, Oct 4, 2012 : 11:05 p.m.

I've never forgotten a time in 2005 or 2006 when I was driving east on Geddes Road. I took it to get to Canton. A westbound vehicle's tires, crossed over the center line, so I got my right tires onto the gravel shoulder to keep from getting hit. I overcompensated several times before regaining control of my car, but fortunately, no other westbound vehicles came my way. I was able to stop at Ridge Road, where there was a stop sign. The weather was warm. I didn't drive like that with my next car until a January morning, when the east-west roads were the iciest. A safe, reasonable speed on north-west roads was not safe and reasonable on the east-west roads, but 30 mph slower. I slid off the freeway, but was able to pull back up to and onto it okay and continue on my way. It's great that this teenager survived being pinned into his vehicle for two hours. I can remember one truck driver who couldn't be freed for 1 1/2 hours, and he died as a result.


Thu, Oct 4, 2012 : 9:23 p.m.

I'm praying that all will be well. What a horrible thing to happen.