You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Mon, Nov 1, 2010 : 10:27 a.m.

Carpet cleaning van catches fire, causes minor damage to client's house

By Cindy Heflin

A malfunction in a carpet cleaning van caused a fire that destroyed the van and nearly caught a customer's house on fire in Ypsilanti Township on Saturday, a firefighter said.

Ypsilanti Township Fire Lt. Keith Harr said the van was at a home in the 6200 block of Maplehurst Drive, where a crew was cleaning carpets. 

Hoses were stretched into the house, where the crew had finished cleaning the first-floor carpets, when something malfunctioned and the van caught fire at 11:07 a.m. The fire spread to the garage soffit and siding.

Ypsilanti Township firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, but the van was destroyed, Harr said. Damage to the house was limited to the siding and soffit and a basketball hoop.


View Larger Map

Comments

jondhall

Sun, Nov 28, 2010 : 10:38 a.m.

I also feel the name is important, if there was am accident we would have the drivers name. My guess is Coach's. They were recently sold to the company that does all the board ups for the Ypsilanti Township fire department.

jondhall

Sun, Nov 28, 2010 : 10:30 a.m.

I also feel the name is important, if there was am accident we would have the drivers name. My guess is Coach's. They were recently sold to the company that does all the board ups for the Ypsilanti Township fire department.

Thomas

Tue, Nov 2, 2010 : 7:22 a.m.

@Dakotawoman1 - Nice!!

Dakotawoman1

Mon, Nov 1, 2010 : 11:47 a.m.

Your post is probably EXACTLY why they haven't released the name of the company. How do you know it had anything to do with negligence? Most likely it was just what the story said it was.....a "malfunction"..... Hopefully, once they do release the name of the company folks don't automatically boycott them by making assumptions, like you did....

rusty shackelford

Mon, Nov 1, 2010 : 11:39 a.m.

Sounds like an allergenic nightmare. Might you deign to inform us which incompetent company allowed such negligence, enabling us to avoid their services in the future?