You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Sat, Oct 27, 2012 : 5:12 p.m.

Cigarette causes apartment fire on Jarvis Street

By Lisa Carolin

A cigarette is the likely cause of a fire this morning at the Ambassador Apartments at 334 Jarvis St., in Ypsilanti.

Lt. Mike Kouba of the Ypsilanti Fire Department says the fire occurred just before 10 a.m. Saturday on the first floor of a three-story apartment building when the railroad ties on the patio caught fire.

"A resident of the apartment was sleeping and had no idea what was going on," said Kouba.

Kouba said the cigarette may have been discarded from the apartment above the night before, and after smoldering for hours started to burn.

No one was injured. There was minor smoke damage inside the apartment. Total damage is estimated at $1,000.

View Larger Map



Tue, Oct 30, 2012 : 2:22 p.m.

@jns131, good for you. after I quit that job I reported the Embassy to not only the fire marshal but also the bldg. inspector. the bldg. inspector never got back to me. the fire marshal's office called me back saying that they "sent someone out there and there were smoke detectors/fire extinguishers." BULL. my guess is that the owner paid someone off to look the other way, and yes this still does happen, but hey, I did what I could and my conscience is clear. If and when a fire happens here, and people die needlessly, it'll be a tragedy that could still be prevented. if the owners read this post, please, WAKE UP. DO THE RIGHT THING, ABIDE BY THE EXISTING FIRE CODES AND INSTALL SMOKE DETECTORS.


Sun, Oct 28, 2012 : 7:30 p.m.

It's only a question of time until the same thing happens at the EMBASSY hotel on the corner of 4th and Huron. I worked there for a short time as a housekeeper, during which time I saw burned-out cigarettes on the carpets and the smell of cigarette smoke was everywhere. When you factor in the appalling lack of smoke detectors, OR fire extinguishers, this place is a tragedy waiting to happen.


Mon, Oct 29, 2012 : 2:30 p.m.

It is low income and more of a flop then anything else. Will never catch me there. Once they clean up that area then maybe. I am not surprised by your post.


Sun, Oct 28, 2012 : 7:17 p.m.

I guess to me this is becoming unheard of. People in a house fire due to smoking. Wow. I am hearing more and more of electrical or something else. Glad the guy escaped.


Sun, Oct 28, 2012 : 3:35 a.m.

People still smoke?


Sun, Oct 28, 2012 : 2:12 a.m.

People. Stop. Smoking.

Ann English

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 : 12:28 a.m.

Makes me wonder how many apartments are designed so that this can happen. Or is it the first floor resdent's fault, keeping railroad ties as a souvenir on the patio? Did the sight of those railroad ties, and memories of railroad tracks catching fire from passing trains, give an upper-floor resident the idea of dropping a lighted cigarette onto the ties? The only railroad tracks I've seen in anyone's yard had a red caboose sitting on it.


Sun, Oct 28, 2012 : 12:57 a.m.

It was a retaining wall made up of railroad ties.


Sat, Oct 27, 2012 : 11:20 p.m.

What a nutcase this shooter is! Sounds like a difficult case for law enforcement with only a type of vehicle for investigators to find this maniac.


Sat, Oct 27, 2012 : 11:21 p.m.

Ooops wrong story. Read the previous and then commented on the wrong one.