You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Fri, Mar 29, 2013 : 5:32 p.m.

Dog dies in Ypsilanti Township fire after residents leave stove on while gone

By Kody Klein


Four fire departments worked to put out the fire at 7334 Spyglass Lane, Ypsilanti Township.

Courtney Sacco I

An Ypsilanti Township house sustained $200,000 worth of damage Friday morning from a fire firefighters believe began because the residents left the stove on when they left.

"At this time it appears to be caused by unattended cooking," said David Crescio, fire captain for the Ypsilanti Township Fire Department.

The fire was reported to the fire department by a neighbor at 11:15 a.m.

The damage to the home, which was located at 7334 Spyglass Lane, in Ypsilanti Township, included extensive fire damage to the kitchen and the room above it, as well as smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

In addition to the damages, Crescio said a dog left in the house died as well, from what he believed was probably smoke inhalation.

The township received assistance from Ypsilanti Fire Department, Pittsfield Fire Department and Ann Arbor Fire Department.

View Larger Map

Kody Klein is an intern for Reach him at



Sun, Mar 31, 2013 : 2:56 a.m.

Interesting to hear a stove caused a fire. I have left a soup pot on low on the stove before and never had a problem. I wonder if something else caught and caused. Condolences. Never want to hear a pet is killed in one of these. Although we had great news of pet rescues now all of a sudden we are hearing the reverse. Scary.


Sat, Mar 30, 2013 : 2:32 p.m.



Sat, Mar 30, 2013 : 12:08 p.m.

I know news has to be reported, but the title of this story seems a little rough, almost like twisting the knife, imo. Let this be a reminder to people to check oven before leaving/going to bed.

dading dont delete me bro

Sat, Mar 30, 2013 : 1:29 a.m.


dading dont delete me bro

Sat, Mar 30, 2013 : 1:29 a.m.

def includes a lot of content damage

Little Patience

Fri, Mar 29, 2013 : 11:11 p.m.

How very sad. I feel for the family, losing pretty much everything including their furry family member. :'(

Tammy Mayrend

Fri, Mar 29, 2013 : 10:42 p.m.

That's very sad. We saw the carrier in the garage today and asked, but the fire department didn't say the dog was there. I noticed the fire as I was outside with the kids and called 9-1-1. It certainly looked like more than $200,000 in damage. Thankfully no human life was lost.

Tammy Mayrend

Sat, Mar 30, 2013 : 1:14 p.m.

@roadsidedinerlover - ANY life lost in a tragic way is senseless. I never said that losing the dog was meaningless or that human life was worth more. Although if they had carried a body out I likely would have reacted differently. I passed no judgement on the owners of the home. Accidents happen.