You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Mon, Nov 26, 2012 : 12:30 p.m.

Furnace fire displaces family of four

By Cindy Heflin

A furnace fire Sunday afternoon displaced an Ypsilanti Township woman and her three daughters, firefighters said.


The Ypsilanti Township Fire Department.

Tom Perkins | For

The family fled the home in the 1300 block of Andrea Street after noticing smoke about 2 p.m. Sunday, Ypsilanti Township Fire Lt. Keith Harr said.

Firefighters found no fire when they arrived, but Harr said the single-family home had filled with smoke. After determining that no one was left in the house, firefighters determined that a malfunctioning furnace was the source of the smoke.

"It was a faulty furnace that was extremely hot and burned the duct work," Harr said.

The fire was already out, Harr said, so firefighters ventilated the home and shut off the gas supply to the furnace.

The home will not be inhabitable until the furnace is repaired, Harr said. The Washtenaw-Lenawee County Chapter of the American Red Cross provided food and lodging for the family.

View Larger Map



Tue, Nov 27, 2012 : 2:48 p.m.

Insurance will buy them a new furnace. My mother had a oil furnace and let me tell you, when those go? Black cob webs everywhere. Cool for us youngsters, not cool for a parent needing to have a house repainted. Glad it was not more serious. Yspi Twp fire fighters rock.


Tue, Nov 27, 2012 : 2:18 p.m.

Why have a lame photo of a fire department building? Why not a photo of the hot furnace? Somehow looking at a closed up fire department building just doesn't paint a good visual image what is trying to be reported........ Is the building featured even the correct building from which the fire would be serviced? Who would know.......

Linda Peck

Mon, Nov 26, 2012 : 7:47 p.m.

This sounds like a very lucky escape, and thank you Fire Department of Ypsilanti!!