You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Sat, Aug 24, 2013 : 4:42 p.m.

Grease buildup blamed for stove fire in Ypsilanti Township home

By Lisa Carolin

A build up of grease near a burner that was turned on is being blamed for a stove fire in Ypsilanti Township Friday evening.

The fire occurred at 1530 Ecorse Road just before 7 p.m. When the Ypsilanti Township Fire Department arrived at the home, a resident had used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. The house was filled with smoke, and the stove was damaged as well as the wall behind it and the cabinets above it.

No one was injured. The residents were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector. The residents say no one was cooking, but the fire investigator believes that one of the burners had been turned on.

Volunteers from the Washtenaw-Lenawee County Chapter of the American Red Cross assisted the family of five with food and infant supplies as well as lodging for the night.

View Larger Map

Lisa Carolin is a freelance reporter.



Sun, Aug 25, 2013 : 6:55 p.m.

I was there after the fire was put out and fire Marshall Mr. Valli said this about the situation. "I solve my problems and I see the light We gotta plug and think, we gotta feed it right There ain't no danger we can go to far We start believing now that we can be who we are" I wasn't exactly sure what he was referring to but it appears to have something todo with the grease.