Gun goes off; bullet ends up in neighbor's refrigerator
A bullet from an Ypsilanti man's handgun that accidentally went off in his apartment ended up in a neighbor's kitchen appliance Tuesday.
A woman told Ypsilanti police that a bullet came through the wall of her apartment in the 200 bock of Pearl Street and into her refrigerator at 11:48 p.m. Tuesday, according to a police media summary.
"No one was hit," said Ypsilanti police Sgt. Thomas Eberts.
When police spoke with the man in the adjacent apartment, he said he was about to clean his handgun when it went off.
Eberts said the man was not intoxicated, and the gun was properly registered. The man could face a possible violation of a city ordinance. The ordinance, Sec. 74-131, states that "no person shall discharge any weapon within the city, except in connection with a regularly scheduled educational, recreational or training program under adequate supervision."