You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2011 : 2:34 p.m.

Man forces his way into apartment at Eastern Michigan University

By Cindy Heflin

An intruder forced his way into an Eastern Michigan University apartment early Saturday morning, but the resident managed to push him out and lock the door, police said.

The resident of the Westview Apartments near Rynearson Stadium answered a knock at the door about 12:25 a.m., a police advisory said. When the resident answered the door, the man pushed his way into the apartment. The two struggled, and the resident forced the man back out, police said.

The intruder ran away. The resident told police he believed the man was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

He described the intruder as a black man about 30 years old with a dark complexion. He was about 6 feet 3 inches to 6 feet 4 inches tall, had short black hair and was missing a front tooth, the resident said. He was wearing a brown sweatshirt, black leather coat and grayish denim jeans with embroidery on the back pocket.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call EMU Police at (734) 487-1222.



Tue, Nov 8, 2011 : 2:40 p.m.

when seconds count, the police are only minutes away... several minutes now in A2...


Tue, Nov 8, 2011 : 6:58 a.m.

Never do. That is why you need a plan and the means to defend yourself until they arrive...

Tom Todd

Tue, Nov 8, 2011 : 1:53 a.m.

don't expect a quick visit after calling 911


Mon, Nov 7, 2011 : 9:52 p.m.

Wow, if this intruder doesn't know where he is going, knocking on a strangers door, forcing into the apartment due to drugs or drink, I'm sure glad he wasn't driving. I'm guessing the resident was stronger than the intruder. If someone knocked on my door at this time of the morning, I would not answer or open the door. Call 911 first!


Mon, Nov 7, 2011 : 9:29 p.m.

I must be lazy cuz I am not getting into a scuffle. The plan is as follows: 1) dial 911 2) ask nicely for the gentleman to leave 3) follow up with pepper spray, applied liberally 4) If 1 & 2 have failed to resolve the problem, then at this point I would be worrying about the mental disposition of the intruder with regard to my and my family's well being and would be forced to act accordingly... Don't forget Murphy's Laws of War; "no plan survives first contact" so have more options.


Tue, Nov 8, 2011 : 12:04 a.m.

Well as with all things depends... Is that a fogging spray you're thinking of? Is it mitigated somewhat by a streaming pattern? How about pepper balls?


Mon, Nov 7, 2011 : 9:53 p.m.

Especially the one you proffered here. Have you ever discharged or been in an enclosed space where pepper spray was utilized? Apparently not, otherwise you wouldn't be thinking of using that option. Everyone in the room feels the effects of the pepper spray when it's utilized in an indoors area. That's just not feasible. But I recommend taking him out with a blunt object upside the head and after liberally applying such object, call the police and tell them to remove the garbage from your floor. I keep a couple of these things handy in my home, just for that purpose.