Ypsilanti kitchen fire leaves 3 without a place to stay
A kitchen fire caused an multi-unit home in the 800 block of Green Road in Ypsilanti to be evacuated Monday afternoon.
The Ypsilanti Fire Department was dispatched to the apartments at 3:23 p.m. for a fire that started on a stove, Capt. Max Anthouard said. The resident was cooking oil, he added.
Residents tried using fire extinguishers on the blaze, which spread to surrounding cabinets, but firefighters ultimately snuffed out the fire.
There were no reported injuries, but there was smoke damage in eight of the units.
"The apartments were damaged," Anthouard said. "(The residents) cannot stay there for the night."
The Red Cross took in three residents of the apartment who were displaced because of the fire.