Posted on Wed, Mar 27, 2013 : 12:27 p.m.

Laptop, iPod among items stolen from vehicle parked at Secretary of State's office

By Kyle Feldscher

A trip to the Secretary of State’s office can be a hassle on occasion, but, for two visitors to the Ypsilanti Township office, a visit on Tuesday proved to be downright costly.

The man and woman parked their car in the lot in front of the Secretary of State’s office at 2720 Washtenaw Ave. in Ypsilanti Township, deputies with the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office said in a media release. At 3:30 p.m., deputies were dispatched to that location because the car was broken into while the couple was inside.

Someone broke a window on the vehicle and stole a backpack and a purse, deputies said. Inside the bags were a laptop, iPod, ear buds, calculator and schoolbooks.

No suspect information was available Wednesday afternoon.

Anyone with information on this incident is encouraged to call the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office anonymous tip line at 734-973-7711 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK UP (773-2587).

View Larger Map

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

nickcarraweigh

Thu, Mar 28, 2013 : 9:39 p.m.

In the old days we might not have found about this ugly incident until after the tomato plants were already blooming, but the lines at the Secretary of State seem lots shorter now.

HB11

Thu, Mar 28, 2013 : 11:57 a.m.

Yes, there are a lot of cretins in the area of that shopping center.

grimmk

Thu, Mar 28, 2013 : 6:03 a.m.

How many times must we be told? DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN PLAIN SIGHT! An ounce of prevention...

FredMax

Thu, Mar 28, 2013 : 12:22 p.m.

Or in your car.

Ann English

Wed, Mar 27, 2013 : 11:20 p.m.

Kyle, the best evidence you gave that this Secretary of State office is the Fountain Square shopping plaza was the roads shown and named south of Washtenaw Avenue. My visits to that Dollar Tree Sunday and today were short, and I bought nothing each time. You don't write which part of their car held the backpack and purse, so I wonder if the thief saw them put these items in their TRUNK.

Amy Biolchini

Wed, Mar 27, 2013 : 7 p.m.

Yikes. I was there just last week, and would definitely agree that it's a busy area. The parking lot is very large and was packed with cars when I was there in the late afternoon on a weekday.

obviouscomment

Wed, Mar 27, 2013 : 4:56 p.m.

This does not surprise me for that area. I am careful in most parking lots but that one in particular makes me be extra aware of my surroundings. I see a lot of people cutting through that parking lot just walking aimlessly through the cars and I have a feeling they are looking for unlocked vehicles and valuables. I'm assuming this vehicle was locked since they smashed the window but it's possible the valuables were left in sight. I always make sure to put valuable out of sight in hopes of deterring a theft of opportunity and when I go into the gym there I take some stuff in with me just to lock up in the locker while I'm there.