Man jailed on charges he forced his way into ex's home and choked her
A 24-year-old Detroit man faces charges alleging he forced his way into his ex-girlfriend’s home and choked her during an altercation Wednesday, according to police.
Detective Sgt. Thomas Eberts said Friday police responded at 5:16 p.m. Wednesday to the 1100 block of Monroe Street for a domestic violence report. Eberts said the man and 25-year-old woman had been in a long-term dating relationship and recently had broken up.
The man wanted to talk to the woman but the woman refused to see him, Eberts said. He came to her residence anyway, knocked on the door and, when the woman answered, forced his way inside, Eberts said.
“He ran inside and the fight began, according to her,” Eberts said.
The man slapped the woman multiple times before getting on top of her and choking her, Eberts said. The woman’s shirt also was torn during the altercation as well, he said.
The man fled the scene before police arrived. However, he returned the next day and a third party reported his presence to police. Eberts said officers responded and arrested the man.
According to court records, he faces charge of first-degree home invasion, assault by strangulation and aggravated domestic violence. He’s expected to be arraigned either Friday or Saturday. AnnArbor.com is not releasing his name because the arraignment has not taken place.
Eberts confirmed the man is being held at the Washtenaw County Jail before arraignment.
The woman did not need medical treatment but suffered scratches and red marks on her neck, as well as facial soreness, Eberts said. No weapons were used in the alleged assault.