Posted on Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 2:20 p.m.

Police: Man 'jumped' and robbed near EMU campus

By John Counts

A 41-year-old Ypsilanti Township man was knocked unconscious and robbed while walking near Eastern Michigan University's campus early Monday morning, police said.

The man was at a friend's residence in the area of Huron River Drive and LeForge Road of Ypsilanti when he decided to head out around 1:20 a.m. for some food, police said. He went to McDonald's, which was closed, and was headed to a gas station when three men approached and asked him for money, said Ypsilanti police Sgt. Thomas Eberts.

"He pulled his wallet out to give the guys some money and they ended up knocking him out, taking his wallet and ear buds," Eberts said.

An alert issued by the EMU police department Monday said the man reported he was "jumped" and "knocked unconscious for several seconds."

Eberts said the man, who was not a student, passed out and walked to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital with injuries to his ribs and bruising on his torso. He has since been released from the hospital.

The only descriptions of the assailants the man could provide was that they were three men, according to the EMU release. Police continue to investigate.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Ypsilanti Police Department at (734) 483-9510.

This story has been corrected. The victim told police he was knocked out for several seconds, not minutes as previously reported.

View Larger Map

John Counts covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at johncounts@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

EMUBADNEWS

Fri, Jun 14, 2013 : 12:37 a.m.

My first question is what qualifies EMU to report a Ypsi Police case to the media????? Do they really have any idea what really happened? If they are so concern where were their officers when the crime was occurring? Oh I know, probably playing cards, eating donuts, or writing parking tickets.

MoonmanDon

Tue, Jun 11, 2013 : 1:42 a.m.

As a student, I didn't receive 1 text alerting me about this crime alert. Sure makes me feel safe..

Ypsikitty

Wed, Jun 12, 2013 : 1:09 a.m.

You don't get texts for crime alerts. You get them for current emergency situations (severe weather, active shooter, etc).

Paul

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 10:37 p.m.

Oh man, you don't pull out your wallet, you flip them a few bucks while walking without stopping. Best to avoid groups of men in the first place, you walk fast and know where you are going, not wandering around seeing the town.... Yeah you aren't to blame the victim but gee, if you temp some folks they will walk over you.

walker101

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 8:29 p.m.

Three men approach me and ask me for my wallet and I can't describe them? I guess then they'll do it again since no one has a clue what they looked like.

pseudo

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 7:51 p.m.

Rib injuries and he walked to St. Joseph's? um... McD's and then to the gas station on foot...John, there is more to this story somehow.

Ricebrnr

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 7:42 p.m.

" and asked him asking for money" sigh, just sigh

John Counts

Tue, Jun 11, 2013 : 1:51 a.m.

The extra word was removed.

jklep12

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 10:44 p.m.

I agree, I don't normally like to play the role of the grammar police. That said, there seems to be little errors like this in the majority of the articles I read. Please just proofread your work!!

Honest Abe

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 7:28 p.m.

Wow! This guy got beaten, then WALKED to St Joe! I know it's not a million miles away but it's a nice little trek for someone who just got pounded!

Paul

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 10:39 p.m.

Maybe he is confused where it happen at ? It was late at night, did he have a few drinks before heading out ?

leezee

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 : 6:30 p.m.

I was a bit surprised until I read LeForge.