Posted on Fri, May 24, 2013 : 11:26 a.m.

Sheriff's office reports rash of vehicle break-ins

By John Counts

Sheriff_badge.jpg

There were four vehicle break-ins reported in Ypsilanti Township this week, according to the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office.

On Wednesday, deputies were called to the 300 block of Hillcrest Boulevard for two car break-ins in that area.

A laptop and a handbag were reported stolen. It was unclear if the vehicles were locked overnight when the thefts are believed to have occurred, according to police.

In both cases entry was forced. A GPS and stereo were stolen.

There are no suspects at this time in any of the incidents. Police continue to investigate.

View Car break-ins, May 24 in a larger map

John Counts covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at johncounts@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

Grover

Sat, May 25, 2013 : 9:26 p.m.

Most apartment communities in the area that have security have pretty much eliminated this problem. Harbor Club caught the people, and so did another property in Ypsi.

AP

Sun, May 26, 2013 : 3:23 a.m.

I heard harbor club also sent out physical notes to the residents about what was going on & what exactly the theieves are targeting. That's great I'm glad they did!

Shi Schultz

Sat, May 25, 2013 : 3:33 a.m.

First off, your property management company telling you anything about crime in your community is boarder line against the fair housing act which McKinley is a part of, they should be notifying you to contact the local P.D. about that information. Secondly, in your lease it states clearly; McKinley or its associates assume no responsibility for valuable(s) left in your vehicle. Do you really need someone to tell you not to leave valuable items in your car? Thirdly, how do you plan to "keep a close eye" on your vehicle while you are sleeping? In the shower? And lastly, you stated "If it wasn't for me previously knowing my neighbor before his chrysler 200 was robbed a few weeks back I would have never known it happened and to keep a close eye on mine." so you knew a few weeks back your neighbors car was "robbed" but you still choose to leave your valuables in your car, don't you think that may have been a warning sign? Now it has happened to you and it's your apartment community's fault. They should of went door to door and told you that there are people who steal from other people. And as a final thought; I would venture to say your vehicle was most likely broken into while you were sound asleep ("Then on Thursday, deputies responded to the Schooner Cove Apartments at 5050 Schooner Cove Blvd. for reports of two vehicles being broken into sometime the previous night."), there goes that "close eye" idea.

Shi Schultz

Sun, May 26, 2013 : 4:07 a.m.

I actually live and work at a complex, I do understand your frustration but you cannot expect your community to get involved in that type of situation. It can open them up to legal issues by releasing information like that. There are public resources in which is their job to get the information out (annarbor.com and other news sources). You can't expect a door to door notification process for things like that. What make you, in an apartment any different than a personal residence next to your complex? Should the police go door to door in a 10 mile radius and notify people every time there is an issue? No, you watch/read the news and stay up to date on the issues in your community. I would also venture to say when you signed your lease you were given/required to provide an email (which is the case for a lot of things now of days) so your community can email you information, which you said they did. You can't blame them that when the email was sent you seen it, probably treated it as junk mail and did not even open it.

AP

Sat, May 25, 2013 : 5:57 p.m.

Ok since you just seem to know it all, let your vehicle get robbed and have your complex tell nobody about it and see how happy you are. There have been 12 chryslers robbed around this area of ypsilanti in 20days yet so many people dont know, that is bullshit. How the hell am I going to remove my own radio, and center console just incase someone decides to rob me since i previously knew what was up you sound so ignorant, the ipod was attatched to my radio through cords its habit to leave it, its really not my concern it was old anyway, the only thing im mad about is my whole navigation system and window being completely bashed out. I am not expecting them to have to replace anything, its not there responsibility but as a leasing office they should let the people paying to live here know what is going on like they do everything else. I was parked feet away from somebodys window, if they woulda known they coulda realized what that alarm was or glass breaking instead of thinking nothing of it.

AP

Sat, May 25, 2013 : 1:21 a.m.

I was a victim yesterday to one of the break ins in schooner cove. The thieves smashed my back window in my chrysler 300 & took out my entire radio / navigation system, my ipod touch and my center console lid, while I was parked right in front of my building feet away from somebodys window. Let me tell you schooner cove staff has done absolutely nothing to notify the community. I am extremely frustrated with them, they sent out emails to all residents which is strike 1 because not all residents are on the email list, or check daily. They needed to make flyers to put in doors like they do with every other incident. Strike 2 was the fact that they told false information on what had happened, they said that people are leaving cars unlocked, so thieves are just going through the glove box & console, when that is DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE! If it wasn't for me previously knowing my neighbor before his chrysler 200 was robbed a few weeks back I would have never known it happened and to keep a close eye on mine. This is not fair to not let other chrysler vehicles know what is going on so they can keep a close eye and make sure all valuables arent left in your vehicle. I have heard that the cueter chrysler dealership even has had 20 hits on there cars in the past month. This needs to be publicized better its BS that not more people know about whats going on since theyre hitting quiet communitys.

John

Sat, May 25, 2013 : 2:51 a.m.

"This is not fair to not let other chrysler vehicles know" "cueter chrysler dealership even has had 20 hits on there cars in the past month." So you say they're targeting Chrysler vehicles specifically? or what? Do they have some kind of hammer that can only smash Chrysler windows?

djacks24

Fri, May 24, 2013 : 5:28 p.m.

This is getting ridiculous. It's obvious these crimes are related. I actually witnessed one of these break-ins happen before I knew what was actually happening. A hooded bicycle rider rides up to the drivers window of a vehicle parked on the street. To a bystander, it looks the the bike-rider is talking to the driver of the parked vehicle. Then it's just a quick smash and grab from there. A heavy, blunt object will easily and rather quietly shatter tempered glass. Crook grabs item quickly without worrying about cutting themselves and rides off.

Backthetruckup

Fri, May 24, 2013 : 3:55 p.m.

The bad thing is they have a new remote that unlocks your car and you don't know anything is missing til later.