Sleeping mother and three children rescued from Ypsilanti Township fire
Ypsilanti Township firefighters found a mother and her three young children sound asleep as smoke billowed through their apartment early Monday.
Rescuers responded to a 911 call placed at 1:13 a.m. Monday from Schooner Cove Apartments, 5050 Schooner Cove Boulevard, by a resident in a neighboring apartment. Firefighters extinguished what was left of a small kitchen fire, woke the woman and her three sons - ages 2, 4 and 6 - and escorted them from their second-story home without harm. Huron Valley Ambulance took the residents to University of Michigan Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire was started because the 4-year-old boy ran the microwave with a piece of metal wiring inside, according to Lt. Fred Anstead with the Ypsilanti Township Fire Department. The microwave caught fire and spread to the kitchen floor, Anstead said. The woman and three children were not responsive to the smoke alarms, which were going off when firefighters arrived on the scene.
The fire caused about $5,000 in damage.
Contact Pete Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 734-623-2561.