You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Sat, Mar 16, 2013 : 1:23 p.m.

Three cats died from smoke inhalation in Ypsilanti apartment fire

By Lisa Carolin

A couch fire caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette Friday night in an Ypsilanti apartment left three cats dead and the residents temporarily homeless, firefighters said.

Lt. Scott Maddison of the Ypsilanti Fire Department says the call came in about 10:45 p.m. Friday from a neighbor reporting the fire in the 300 block of Pearl Street near North Hamilton and West Michigan Avenue.

The occupants of the home had been gone for an estimated 90 minutes when the fire was reported, he said.

In addition to the Ypsilanti Fire Department, the Ypsilanti Township Fire Department, Pittsfield Township Fire Department and the Ann Arbor Fire Department all responded to the scene of the fire.

Madison says that the three cats succumbed to smoke inhalation. The apartment is not livable and the damage is estimated at $16,000. Two other apartments had to be evacuated, but tenants were permitted to return.


View Larger Map

Comments

mareze

Tue, Mar 19, 2013 : 5:27 p.m.

This was an ELECTRICAL FIRE. Not SMOKING.

Nichole Birk

Mon, Mar 18, 2013 : 10:18 p.m.

Whats funny is that they wont be having neglect charges bc it wasn't a cigarette. Maybe writers should get their facts straight....

mady

Mon, Mar 18, 2013 : 8:48 p.m.

This is heartbreaking, and yet another ironclad reason why smoking will never be ok in my apt.

grimmk

Sun, Mar 17, 2013 : 4:56 a.m.

How horrible. I'd be gutted if anything happened to my kitties. I'm so sorry. Best wishes for your future!

a2citizen

Sun, Mar 17, 2013 : 3:47 a.m.

Relieved to read that no human beings were injured (the firefighters and innocent neighbors).

JBK

Sun, Mar 17, 2013 : 2:55 a.m.

Sad! I wonder if the careless smoker can be brought up on charges of animal cruelty or at least neglect?

mareze

Tue, Mar 19, 2013 : 5:31 p.m.

This was not from smoking. IT WAS FAULTY ELECTRICAL THAT CAUSED THE FIRE.

Millicent Little

Mon, Mar 18, 2013 : 2:23 p.m.

I can only imagine the guilt that this owner felt after this terrible tragedy. It will with for a lifetime. Show me a pet owner that hasn't made a mistake with their pets that they regretted and I'll sprout rainbow colored wings and fly like an eagle...

HB11

Sun, Mar 17, 2013 : 11:26 a.m.

Wow, I sure hope no tragedies ever befall you. With that self-righteousness, you will certainly be the first to blame yourself.

brian

Sun, Mar 17, 2013 : 2:40 a.m.

Poor kitties, RIP little ones. I know I would be devastated if my kitty died. Besides my girls, she's my best friend.

Eli

Sun, Mar 17, 2013 : 1:28 a.m.

So crazy that each of their ninth lives came to an end at the same time, makes me wonder whether they spent their first eight together as well.

Soft Paw

Sat, Mar 16, 2013 : 8:23 p.m.

So cats are not always safer indoors.

huh7891

Sun, Mar 17, 2013 : 1:23 a.m.

No..not if the owners are careless and neglectful.

michael Limmer

Sat, Mar 16, 2013 : 8:59 p.m.

Not if they smoke on the couch.....

TrappedinMI

Sat, Mar 16, 2013 : 7:35 p.m.

So sad. :(