You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Wed, Nov 16, 2011 : 7:21 a.m.

Stove fire causes $15,000 in damage to Ypsilanti Township home

By Lee Higgins

Three women were displaced after a fire broke out Tuesday night in the kitchen of a home in the 1000 block of Nash Avenue in Ypsilanti Township, fire officials said.

One of the women had finished cooking french fries on the stove and forgot to turn the burner off, causing a fire at 8:17 p.m. that left $15,000 damage, township interim Fire Capt. Thomas Stachlewitz said.

The residents, who were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector, used a fire extinguisher to put it out. Red Cross officials said they are assisting the women with food and lodging.

As Ypsilanti Township firefighters were returning to headquarters after that fire, they saw a car on fire in a driveway in the 800 block of Dorset Avenue at 10:20 p.m., Stachlewitz said.

A man inside the home was unaware his Ford Crown Victoria was on fire. Firefighters put out the fire that was caused by an electrical issue, Stachlewitz said. That home was not damaged.