Ypsilanti Head Start Preschool to be named after educator Charles E. Beatty Sr.
The Ypsilanti Head Start preschool building at 1661 Leforge Road will be named after Charles Eugene Beatty Sr., the late educator whose work with the HighScope Perry Preschool Study continues to provide evidence of the importance of a preschool education for children of low-income families.
AnnArbor.com file photo
Washtenaw Intermediate School District, which began overseeing all of the Washtenaw County Head Start programs in July, and Washtenaw County supports the adoption of the new name, according to a news release.
Beatty graduated from Michigan State Normal College - now Eastern Michigan University - in 1933. Upon graduating, he joined the field of education and in 1940 he became the first African-American school principal in Michigan.
He served as principal at Ypsilanti’s Harriet Street School, which was later renamed Perry School. In 1962, Beatty began working with Dr. David Weikart of the HighScope Foundation to conduct a study of the relationship between attending a preschool program and success later in life.
A formal resolution to rename the Leforge Building will be presented at the Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners meeting at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 4 in the board room of the Administration Building, 220 N. Main St. Beatty’s family will attend the meeting to accept the resolution.
Chelsea Hoedl is an intern reporter for AnnArbor.com. She can be reached at email@example.com.