Ypsilanti Township apartment fire causes $35,000 in damage, leaves 1 homeless
One man has been rendered homeless after an unattended cooking material went up in flames, causing $35,000 in damage to an Ypsilanti Township apartment Wednesday afternoon.
Lt. Larry James of the Ypsilanti Township Fire Department said crews were sent at 4:54 p.m. to an apartment in the 1200 block of Leforge Road that was reportedly in flames. Upon arrival, firefighters had to battle a blaze that destroyed one unit of the 12-unit apartment complex.
The apartment will need to be gutted, James said. The American Red Cross was called in to provide housing for the resident.
Eight firefighters responded to the scene in four different units, James said. They eventually left the area at 5:47 p.m., putting the fire out relatively quickly and spending most of the time inspecting the rest of the building to make sure it was safe for the other residents.
The complex was evacuated initially, but all residents have since been allowed to return to their apartments.