You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Mon, Mar 26, 2012 : 4:15 p.m.

Ypsilanti Township chicken coop burns down, but feathered residents escape harm

By Kyle Feldscher

An old chicken coop burned to the ground in Ypsilanti Township on Monday morning, but its former residents were all unharmed, according to firefighters.

Ypsilanti Township firefighters responded to the fire at 11:47 a.m. Monday in the 800 block of Jerome Street, firefighters said.

The owner of the coop had been sawing the aging structure earlier that morning and it’s believed a spark might have caught the straw inside the shed to catch on fire, firefighters said.

The coop burned down and scorched a fence and shed nearby, but there was no major damage to the home or power lines above it, according to firefighters.

Most importantly, the three or four chickens that lived in the coop were running around the backyard unharmed while firefighters put out the blaze.

View Larger Map

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for He can be reached at or you can follow him on Twitter.



Mon, Mar 26, 2012 : 10:12 p.m.

Oh boy, now THIS is a slow news day....


Mon, Mar 26, 2012 : 9:29 p.m.

Time to raise some money for homeless chickens?


Mon, Mar 26, 2012 : 9:17 p.m.

Aww shucks, they were almost ready for a bath in some Franks hot Sauce and butter.