Saline's Mary Hanna leads plethora of champions on year's busiest high school sports day
Daniel Brenner | AnnArbor.com file photo
Third was the charm for the University of Nebraska-bound senior on Saturday. Hanna defeated Clarkston’s Lexi Baylis - herself a two-time No. 2 singles champion - 6-1, 6-2 in the finals to claim the Division 1 No. 1 singles championship at the Midland Community Tennis Center. Hanna finished the season undefeated, only dropping a single set all year.
Alyssa Roopas and Evie VanDewege won the No. 3 doubles flight in spectacular fashion. The Pioneer duo dropped their opening set 4-6, won the second and third 6-4, 7-5.
Pioneer finished in sixth place as a team with Huron taking eighth. Port Huron Northern won the team title with 24 points total.
Chelsea made school history at the Division 3 finals as the doubles team of Samantha Jabara and Jordan Jacobs became the first in program history to ever advance to a flight semifinal.
In Division 4, Father Gabriel Richard took fourth place as a team with Anjali Sood leading the way with a runner-up finish at No. 2 singles.
Hanna and the Pioneer doubles team were just one of several Washtenaw County athletes to win state championships on Saturday. Several other teams came painfully close while some took their first step toward a state championship with district titles on the busiest weekend of the year.
Check out all of the AnnArbor.com and MLive.com's High School Sports Network coverage from throughout the day:
Courtney Sacco | AnnArbor.com
- WITH GALLERY: Huron baseball wins one-run games against Skyline, Dexter to win district
- Chelsea falls to league foe Tecumseh is district semifinal
- Gabriel Richard defeats Whitmore Lake 11-1 to win Division 3 district
- Manchester falls to Clinton in district semifinal
Girls water polo
- Manchester wins district championship in program's first year in MHSAA competition
- Dexter falls to Mason in double overtime of district final
Track and field
Latara Appleby | MLive Media Group
- Chelsea wins first boys state track title, Berkley Edwards sweeps sprints
- Saline girls track 2nd at state finals, Quenee' Dale wins 100 hurdles
- Three area boys pole vaulters earn all-state honors at Division 1 track finals
- Gabriel Richard boys 400-meter relay team wins Division 3 state title as Irish have best showing in 20 years
- Gabriel Richard, Whitmore Lake girls reach medal stand at Division 3 finals
- WITH GALLERY: Dexter softball team wins first district championship in 26 years
- Grass Lake softball comes from behind to defeat Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard for second-straight Division 3 district championship
- Chelsea falls to Tecumseh in district semifinal
- Manchester falls to two-time state champs Clinton in district semifinal