Triple play helps Eastern Michigan baseball top Michigan for second time this season
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_01_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_02_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_03_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_04_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_05_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_06_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_07_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_08_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_09_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_10_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_11_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_12_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_13_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_14_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_15_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_16_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_17_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UMvsEMU/cache/041812_SPT_UMvsEMU_MRM_18_fullsize.jpg
For the second time this spring, the Eastern Michigan baseball team had its way with neighboring Michigan.
The Eagles scored seven times in the first four innings to take a 7-2 win in front of an announced attendance of 899 at Ray Fisher Stadium on Wednesday night.
Lee Longo (2-for-4) had an RBI single in EMU's two-run first inning, Sam Ott added a two-run single in the third and Austin Williams (2-for-4) had an RBI double in a three-run fourth.
EMU, which beat Michigan 12-2 in late March, wiped out a potential Wolverine rally with a triple play in the third inning.
Michigan's Patrick Biondi led off the inning with a walk and moved to second on a John DiLaura single. The baserunners were moving when Coley Crank lined out to EMU third baseman Ben Magsig, who tagged Biondi and threw to Ott at first base to retire DiLaura.
Biondi scored both Michigan (16-22) runs. Brett Winger brought him home on a fielder’s choice in the first inning and Biondi advanced from third on a balk call in the eighth.
Starter Colin Taylor picked up the win after allowing one run on three hits through five innings for EMU (17-19), which went 3-2 against Big Ten teams this season. (Boxscore)
Six pitchers allowed five earned runs on seven hits with eight walks and eight strikeouts for Michigan, which lost for the sixth time in seven games. Starter Trent Szkutnik took the loss after allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits and a walk in the first inning.