Posted on Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 5:54 a.m.

How far do you think the Michigan basketball team will advance in the NCAA Tournament?

By Pete Cunningham

burke-beilein.jpg

Michigan point guard Trey Burke and coach John Beilein take the court on Wednesday March 20 at a practice of the Palace of Auburn Hills for a swarc

Melanie Maxwell | AnnArbor.com

Let the madness begin!

The Michigan men's basketball team takes on South Dakota State on Thursday at 7:15 p.m. at the Palace of Auburn Hills in the opening round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament (CBS).

Michigan is favored by 11 points and even among the most upset minded of of all contrarians, the Wolverines are a popular pick.

But the real question is, how far will Michigan advance, if at all, in this year's tournament?

Pete Cunningham covers sports for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at petercunningham@annarbor.com. Follow him on Twitter @petcunningham.

Comments

Kyle Austin

Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 7:15 p.m.

I think they should get past the first two games -- VCU could be tough, but I think their system works best on teams with weak ballhandlers, which Michigan certainly is not. I have them out to Kansas.

WalkingJoe

Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 12:15 p.m.

I know this comment will be unpopular but I have to say this. I am not a basketball or March Madness fan. Don't get me wrong I don't care if people are I just wish we weren't bombarded with it. Even at Super Bowl time there isn't as much hype as this. I am even kind of disappointed with President Obama, whom I voted for, taking time with a sports reporter to fill out his bracket. Isn't there a few more pressing issues he should be working on?

WalkingJoe

Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 2:08 p.m.

Ok Pete, good point. And upon further reflection I guess he's no different than those who do that at work and I used to get into football pools before I retired.

Pete Cunningham

Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 1:34 p.m.

To quote the great Abraham Lincoln: "haters gonna hate." I say if our Presidents don't take the time to enjoy themselves here and there, we'll have an election every year because they'll all have heart attacks their first 6 months in office.

eldegee

Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 12:14 p.m.

Third round - they don't seem to handle adversity well. They're just not experienced enough.

Jaunty Johnny

Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 11:39 a.m.

I'm a veteran Michigan fan....first Wolverine games were in '46, when we won the Big Ten, with Pete Elliott, Bob Harrison, and Mack Suprunowitz. We happened to run into a buzz-saw in the NCAA Tourney, Holy Cross and Bob Cousy. Now, there aren't any Cousys out there, but Trey Burke is the nearest thing to him. No clear-cut favorite this year, so I am going out on a limb and picking BigBlue to win it all!! GO BLUE!!! Johnny one Note. UM '54.

Pete Cunningham

Thu, Mar 21, 2013 : 1:28 p.m.

A popular pick 6 weeks ago. Now, not so much. We'll see. I went with a different UM: Miami. Been impressed with the Canes all year.